Chapter Four: Tails

The creature kept flying, and with each flap, we went higher. I was amazed as I watched his wings stretch out on either side and then beat the air. His wings were so strong!

As we climbed higher into the sky, for once I saw creatures that didn't look scary. There was a group of them. Their plump bodies were adorned with coats of soft brown feathers that shimmered in the starlight. Their wings, small yet mighty, were beautiful blends of brown and black, allowing them to flap through the skies with ease. Their beady black eyes, set in round heads, were alert, scanning their surroundings for any signs of danger. They had small, pointed beaks and delicate feet equipped with sharp claws. 

''What are those?'' I said, pointing at them.

''Those are plainsbirds,'' said the creature I was on.

''What's your name?'' I asked.

''My name is Thotoghtsmeaua.''

''Your name is what?!''

''Thotoghtsmeaua. It means Thoughtful Speaker. You can just call me Thoughtful Speaker if you want.''

''Oh, OK. I'll do that.''

Thoughtful Speaker kept flying higher, and we began to pass little pink clouds. They looked very fluffy and light, and I wished I could hold one.

''Thoughtful Speaker, can i get a cloud?''

''Can you do what?''

''Can I get a cloud? I want to hold one.''

''Ummmm, Tails, you can't hold a cloud. It's basically wet air.''

''Wait, you have wet air here too?''

''Um, yeah. There's no wet air where you come from?''

''No. The only wet was in the pond. There was no wet dirt or wet air on the space island.''

''You lived on a space island. That's so cool!''

''Hm, it's not as cool as you think. It gets boring a lot of times, 'cause the island doesn't do anything interesting.''

''What's on your island?''

''Well, there's a big willow tree, and then there's a little bit of grass. There are also some rocks and a tiny pond.''

''Oh, I've never seen a willow tree before. I've always wanted to see them. They sound so beautiful.''

As we went higher, the clouds got bigger and bigger, and most times I couldn't see the red star. Above us was a big mass of clouds that looked like a giant fluffy blanket.

''Is your home on the other side of those clouds?'' I asked.

''It is above the clouds,'' said Thoughtful Speaker. ''But it's a couple miles away. It shouldn't take us long to get there, though.''

Suddenly, Thoughtful Speaker carried me through the clouds! I got wet on my fur. On the other side of the blanket of clouds was the red star, and it looked brighter than it did when we were under the clouds. In all directions I could see endless clouds.

''This is so awesome!'' I said excitedly. Then my voice became sad. ''I wish Sonic could see this.''

''Don't worry,'' said Thoughtful Speaker. ''I'm sure we'll find him some time. Once the storm passes, we can look for him.''

''I hope he'll be OK,'' I said.

Thoughtful Speaker did not answer. I wondered if he was worried too.