Chapter Eight: Tails

We sprinted along the path. I had never run so fast in my life. Just the thought of Sonic being attacked by a creature that wanted to eat him made fear rule my soul.

We ran along the swerving path. The path got wider and wider as we went on, but it also became more and more cluttered. Leg bones littered the path, and every few seconds we had to leap over one or two large ones. We weren't the only ones running in that direction.

Vichres ran among the shadows and rib cages on both sides of the path. They ran with ease and grace, but their eyes were wild with greed, and that scared me. Surely they were the creatures that wanted to eat Sonic.

We ran faster, barely avoiding all the bones that littered the path. We veered so fast that with every turn it felt as if I was going to fall, but I didn't.

The few times I looked at the other creatures' faces, I saw that they were gleaming with fear too. I was happy to know that I wasn't the only one scared.

I couldn't help but notice that several of the scary creatures were ahead of us. I didn't think about it for too long so my fear wouldn't increase. Hopefully we were almost there.

Then, where the path was widest, we saw a big crowd of scary creatures. Fear pounded in my head. We all knew that the vichres had reached him first.

We didn't wait. We attacked them. I didn't even think about the fact that I had never fought a creature before and that I had no idea how. I just wanted to save Sonic.

I leapt in front of the nearest scary creature and flailed its face. It stumbled backward, seemingly surprised that I'd attacked it. I leapt at it again, flailing and kicking it. I struck its elbow and the creature crumpled, giving me enough time to jump on its head. The force of me doing so made the creature hit its nose on the hard, rock-like ground. It gasped with pain as I landed behind it, grabbing and pulling its tail as hard as I could. This made the creature fall, and I jumped onto its head again. I jumped on its head over and over.

I eventually noticed that the creature wasn't moving at all. I stopped jumping and got off its head. I looked at its face. Its eyes were closed, and its two forked tongues were hanging out of its mouth. I straightened with achievement. I had actually knocked out a creature!

I looked around to see that everyone was fighting off the other scary creatures. Some of the other creatures were using weird things to fight. Fireeyes looked like he had two giant yellow glowing sewing needles connected to his hands by long threads. Swumaar was blasting purple lights at scary creatures, throwing them up into the air, and tossing bones at them with simple movements of his slender hands, and causing almost invisible walls to come in front of scary creatures so they bumped into them and fell. Suddenly, a weapon that was like a stick with a curved sharp part at the end came flying out of nowhere and into Suli's hand. Then, Suli fought with it. Able shot rainbow light out of his mouth that made scary creatures faint.

Soon, all of the scary creatures were either gone or unconscious, and I was the first to approach Sonic. I knelt down beside him. The once energetic hedgehog was now drained and frail. His bones were great bumps under his blue pelt, which was caked with dreadful dirt, and his nose was dry and rough. His pointed ears were coated with dust. His eyes, which managed to be both bright and terribly dull, were glad but were also gleaming with agony. I put my hand gently on his side. His breathing was very, very fast, like usual, but it wasn't the same. His breathing had lost its strength, and that made me scared. I looked up to see that Fireeyes was kneeling on the other side of Sonic. Slowly, he slid his hands under Sonic and lifted him.

''Come on,'' he said. ''Let's get him out of here.''

Fireeyes trotted down the path, and we followed. As we walked along it, the path got thinner and thinner until it was just as thin as when we had first begun following it.