𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

"𝘞𝘦𝘭𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘦 "

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

╰┈˚ · ° .  ᴍᴀɪᴠᴇɴ, ʀʜʏꜱᴀɴᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ꜰᴇʏʀᴇ ᴡɪɴɴᴏᴡᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴠᴇʟᴀʀɪꜱ.

The morning sunlight streamed through the windows lining the front of the town house. The ornately carved wood door was inset with fogged glass that peeked into a small antechamber and the actual front door beyond it, shut and solid against the city beyond.

"Welcome to my home," Rhysand said to Feyre

"What is this place?" The golden-brown haired girl asked

Rhys leaned a broad shoulder against the carved oak threshold that led into the sitting room and crossed his arms. "This is my house. Well, I have two homes in the city. One is for more ... official business, but this is only for me and my family." Rhys explained "Nuala and Cerridwen are here, but other than that, it'll just be the two of us."

Feyre whipped her head towards her sister, her brows furrowed in confusion.

"My room is in the other house." Maiven said, trying to sound as soft as possible.

Rhysand opened his mouth, but then the silhouettes of two tall, powerful bodies appeared on the other side of the front door's fogged glass. One of them banged on it with a fist.

"Hurry up, you lazy ass," a deep male voice drawled from the antechamber beyond.

Rhys didn't so much as blink toward the door. "Two things, Feyre darling."

The pounding continued, followed by the second male murmuring to his companion, "If you're going to pick a fight with him, do it after breakfast."

"I wasn't the one who hauled me out of bed just now to fly down here," Cassian said, before he added, "Busybody."

The corner of Maiven's mouth threatened to curl upwards as she heard the two Illyrians outside bantering

"One, no one—no one—but Mor, Maiven and I are able to winnow directly inside this house. It is warded, shielded, and then warded some more. Only those I wish—and you wish—may enter. You are safe here; and safe anywhere in this city, for that matter. Velaris's walls are well protected and have not been breached in five thousand years. No one with ill intent enters this city unless I allow it. So go where you wish, do what you wish, and see who you wish. Those two in the antechamber," he added, eyes sparkling, "might not be on that list of people you should bother knowing, if they keep banging on the door like children."