2) pouring rain

Brandon, pulling open the heavy main door of the art museum, studied Steven with new eyes. Could it be possible that all these years he had abundantly misconstrued his friend? Could it be that he wasn't just easygoing smiles and half promises? As soon as they were out, Steven fumbled for his cigarettes and stuck one between his lips, smiling.

Brandon's head was still spinning with images of all the brightly colored paintings, the ones he had thought he would never get to see in person. He couldn't stop thinking about what he would have missed, if he had stood Steven up like he had seriously deliberated on doing that morning.

It wasn't that Brandon didn't trust Steven, he was simply having a hard time trusting his intentions, the extent of his commitment. If Steven were to make a practical joke out of their dates, even though he had sworn not to, Brandon would never recover from it. He would curse at himself for ever thinking love was something he could have, he would give up thinking that even he could have his happy ending.

"Damn it, I think it's going to rain." Steven cursed, peering up at the clouded sky. A drop of rain fell on the tip of Brandon's nose, chilling his heated skin. The city had turned gloomy, a complete opposite of the sunny midday they had walked in on their way to the museum.

After seeing the exhibition of his all time favorite artist, who wasn't just a good painter to him, but also someone to look up to in his life, Brandon felt guilt gnawing his chest. How could he still doubt Steven, when he was clearly investing his time and money to make the dates as perfect as they could be?

"Maybe it'll.." Brandon began, but let his voice trail off as the light rain turned to a full-blown pouring right in front of their eyes. He raised his voice for Steven to hear it over the hum of the water: "Should we go back?"

Steven shook his head, pulling his already soaking hair off his face. Then the typical up-to-no-good grin spread on his lips, making his eyes glint with mischief. He held out his hand to Brandon and suggested: "How would you feel about running?"

Brandon didn't answer, but started sprinting forward all the same. His sneakers and socks were already soaking wet, and he couldn't wait to get out of the rain. Brandon glanced over his shoulder to see Steven grinning and dashing after him. It didn't take him long with his long legs to reach Brandon.

It was good that Steven was guiding them, as Brandon could barely see through his glasses. In no time the raindrops distorted his vision to a point where he had to clung on to the crook of Steven's arm to not accidentally run in the middle of the traffic. Taking off the glasses wouldn't have helped, as he was practically blind without them.

"We should go running together more often." Steven suggested, panting for air as he opened the door of a small, idyllic looking café for Brandon.

"Preferably without the rain." Brandon muttered, stepping into the warmth and breathing in the heavenly aroma of fresh coffee and freshly baked goods. And it wasn't just cinnamon, vanilla and spices, but also.. books.

The walls were covered with books from roof to ceiling, the furniture was old and mismatched yet consistent in its own peculiar way. The space was lit with countless tiny bulbs, hanging low from the ceiling, turning the café to a hauntingly beautiful constellation of light. Brandon itched to draw it.

"What will you have?" Steven asked, beaming at the awe in Brandon's eyes. When they had ordered, Brandon started fumbling for his wallet, but Steven placed a steadying hand on his forearm. "I believe one condition of our dates was that it was all my treat."

Brandon opened his mouth, ready to object, but shut it again. He could barely afford his rent as it was, and Steven knew exactly how little he had to spare for cafés and art exhibitions. If Steven offered to pay, then he likely did so because he wanted and could afford to. That is how Brandon decided to look at it, at least.