9) honesty

Steven's body was buzzing with excitement, his chest full of warmth and affection. He couldn't have kept the smile off his face even if he had tried to, not when he was holding Brandon in his arms. There was nothing sexual in the touch, but Steven found himself content with just breathing in Brandon's scent and feeling the solid heat of his body.

It was the first time Steven saw Brandon in a t-shirt and that alone was telling a lot about the weather. Sweat was trickling down Steven's back, as his body became overheated under the scalding sun, but he would rather have a heatstroke than push Brandon away.

Steven ran his fingers up Brandon's arm to his biceps and back down to the crook of his arm, momentarily forgetting all about the music and the mass of people swaying and screaming around them. He hadn't expected to find distinct muscles from Brandon's arms. Having only seen Brandon wearing baggy clothes had given Steven a different, less athletic impression of him.

Brandon's skin went on goosebumps, as he felt the touch, and he glimpsed at Steven over his shoulder with questions in his eyes. Steven only gave a smile as an answer, and Brandon seemed content with it, as he turned back to face the stage.

Steven found himself wishing the day would never end. How was he going to persuade Brandon on another date? After that day their deal was over, and Steven didn't know how he was going to survive, if Brandon didn't want to keep seeing him.

"You said I thanked you, but", Brandon hesitated, turning around to face Steven again. The band had left the stage, way too soon for Steven's liking. "I don't think I did?"

"Well, maybe not with the exact words, but the message was clear enough." Steven murmured, smiling. 

"Still, thank you so much for this." There was a new-found liveliness in Brandon's eyes Steven didn't remember seeing in them before. His cheeks were flushed and he was smiling, albeit just enough for it to be noticeable. He gestured vaguely around him, before declaring: "All of this, these dates, they've been the best days of my life."

"So far." Steven wiggled his eyebrows, his smile turning to a grin. Then he took in a deep, calming breath and suggested: "I could come up with new ideas, if you want to give it a try?" 

Brandon grew quiet, studying Steven's face in silence, before eventually nodding and saying: "I'm not ready to let this go, so, yeah, of course I do."

Steven whooped, jumping up and down. He grinned like he had just won the lottery, and squeezed Brandon into a fierce hug. He even went as far as swirling them around, ignoring the long looks they were gathering. "I'd like to kiss you breathless."

When Brandon tensed in his arms, Steven realized what he had just blurted out and quickly set Brandon back to the ground. He stuffed his hands in his pockets, shifting on his feet. Then he murmured: "Don't worry, I won't. I promised to wait and I will."

"It doesn't always have to be something spectacular." Brandon was quick to change the subject. "I'm fine with just hanging out and watching a movie or something."

"You just want to watch more rom coms, but are too proud to say it out loud." Steven teased with a jocular grin. He could still see the unease and guilt in Brandon's face, for making kissing such a big deal, so he did his best to lighten the mood.

"Oh shut up." Brandon laughed.

Florence + The Machine was the main artist of the day, so after their performance the crowd in the festival area thinned. Brandon let his shoulders drop from his ears and didn't fiddle as much once they had more room to breathe. They bought two cans of overpriced beer and sat on the grass, while Steven smoked.

The stage was far enough so that the music wasn't blaring and they could talk in normal voices again. Brandon fell to his usual silence, gazing around and laughing at the stories Steven told him. Steven could easily keep the conversation up even by himself, just as long as Brandon was listening.