Chapter 2

Sebastian's POV

Another nightmare about Anne. I walked to potions class, hoping I had not forgotten anything. To be honest, my mind all morning had been occupied with that terrible nightmare, I didn't even want to speak to Ominis about it. Night terrors about Anne had started to become regular occurrences, I didn't want them to be. In fact, I wish I was thinking about anything else right now. 

I entered the class, my mind still racing about the nightmare. I started following Professor Sharp's instructions.

I started focusing entirely on the cauldron in front of me, nothing else. Even though my mind wanted to stray, and think about last night's nightmare again, I was focused entirely on what I was doing now.

My hands shook as I stirred the potion. It seemed like I was the only one in class who had already gotten it. What a relief. 

I felt eyes on me, and I looked up only to see y/n smiling. I looked behind her to see a monstrous attempt at a healing potion. Oh, y/n... the school's new enigma. And perhaps an enigma of my own. I hadn't seen her since we got caught in the library.

"What? You might have beaten me in a duel, but I still could beat you in one or two other things" I said while smiling for the first time in what felt to be days. 

She walked over to me with crossed arms, somewhat sheepishly, "Sounds like someone is still not over their defeat."

The mention of the moment made me wince for a split second. I indeed had to retaliate, "Sounds like someone's healing potion turned out bright pink; trying your hand at love potions now are we?"

She seemed taken aback by the comment, I suppose I succeeded in retaliating. I was satisfied.

"I'm not even certain of where I went wrong with my potion," She said looking down. 

"Perhaps you stirred too quickly" I assessed. It seemed like she needed help with catching up. "I could be of some help, I don't mind staying after class to assist you with this."

"I would really appreciate that Sebastian" She responded.

"I'll see you after class then" I responded and returned to my potion-making. 

 As she returned to her station, I realized I was still smiling like a dunce. 

It seemed now a habit of mine to be in good spirits after talking with the new 5th year, I mean, she was a great addition to the class. She seems just as adventurous and mischievous as I would hope any of my friends to be. And her having defeated a troll on her own was incredibly impressive. Not only that but the whole story of her having survived a dragon attack...

...what am I even going on about...

I'll admit. When she first introduced herself in the common room, I wasn't too interested in making a new friend. But perhaps it was the way that she genuinely seemed interested in the book I was holding in my hand or the way she beat me in that duel with ease. She was intriguing. 

She cemented her way into my mind when she asked me to help her enter the library's restricted section during the first week of class. How could a person be so fascinating?

As we hid together, so close to each other...

...why can I still remember what her hair smelled like...

'Snap out of it Sebastian' I thought to myself. 

Before I knew it, the class was over.

As everyone started leaving, I made my way to y/n's station. 

I pulled a stool next to her, "Still working on your love potion?"

She shook her head, in a rather adorable manner, and laughed. 

"I thought love potions were something made up by 'muggles'" She responded. 

I found her lack of knowledge about the wizarding world quite endearing. 

"To be honest, I'm not much acquainted with love potions, but I've heard they're more favored than you'd think" I opened the potions book to page 52. 

She moved closer to me to read along with me. 

"So it says, I must use a certain..." Her words disappeared into nothing as I got a sudden Deja Vu. We were far too close now, I could smell the scent of her hair again. A familiar scent now, of perhaps pine, definitely the scent of someone who is always out in the forest, but a tint of lavender, a flowery aroma. This particular scent was now cementing in my brain, as her scent. I hope she wouldn't notice how my breaths now were calculated. Every breath in was almost intoxicating. 

...what is happening...

A feeling I had never felt before started manifesting in my lower abdomen. Her breath reached the back of my hands, which held the book in place for her to read. This sent shivers down my spine, and my breath hitched. And all I could think about was:

...I hope she doesn't notice...

"Sebastian?" Her voice snapped me out of it. 

"Huh?" I turned to look at her. I tried to act collected. 

"I asked if we should start setting the herbs into..." She raised her eyebrows and pointed at the cauldron. 

"Oh! That's precisely what we need to do. Let us begin" I placed the book on the counter and pushed my hair back with my hand. 

She nodded and followed my lead. 

-

-

-

-