Chapter 29

GARRETH POV

The Great Hall buzzed with activity, laughter and conversations blending into a symphony of sound. I sat at the Gryffindor table, scanning the room for her.

Like a moth to a flame.

How absurd. I had a crush on this girl for two years already, only to get turned down last week, I was insanely embarrassed.

And even worse, it seemed like the whole school was talking about it.

How was I supposed to know her and Sebastian were a thing? Am I that oblivious?

As I searched, my eyes caught a glimpse of commotion at the Slytherin table. Y/n sat there, her expression marked with sadness, tears shimmering in her eyes. My heart sank.

Something was clearly wrong. Following her gaze, I found Sebastian Sallow, who clearly held her heart in his hands.

Had something happened between them?

It wasn't long until I heard about it, from whispers in my table. One of the negative things about Hogwarts; Everyone knows everything about everyone.

And so I heard.

The news hit me like a stunning hex, leaving me dazed and disoriented.

I looked over at Sallow, who was on the opposite end from her.

I had never heard Sebastian speak of his feelings for Y/n, but the pain etched on his face was undeniable.

It made me question if I should even continue to pursue Y/n after witnessing the depths of Sebastian's emotions.

Why would he break up with her? Only to look miserable like this, he looked like a corpse right then and there.

I never held it against him.

I knew they were close friends, I sometimes even felt a bit of jealousy, but I could never hold it against him.

If he really felt something for Y/n I couldn't blame him. I expected many people to have feelings for her, she was the kindest and prettiest girl in school. So how could I hold it against him, or against Ominis.

But I'll admit, when I heard the rumor that Ominis might also like her, I was surprised.

I wondered if either Sebastian and Y/n knew about that. Or if Ominis was keeping to himself, perhaps to respect his best friends relationship.

My thoughts swirled like restless spirits within me, as I tried to unravel the complex web of emotions that Y/n had woven around me.

Memories of our encounters flooded my mind—the way she effortlessly commanded attention when she entered a room, her wit and intelligence shining like a silver serpent.

We had shared moments, stolen glances, and conversations that left me spellbound.

I had never felt like this before.

I had always been content with blending into the background, observing rather than being in the spotlight.

But with Y/n, a dormant fire awakened within me, I became more of a class clown when she arrived, hoping that one day she'd notice that it was all for her.

It was daunting, yet the allure of her presence made it feel worth every ounce of courage.

But now, faced with the aftermath of Y/n's broken relationship, doubts and uncertainties plagued my mind.

Was it fair for me to pursue her when Sebastian's wounds were still fresh?

Not to mention, should I continue shattering my heart over and over for her?