13

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

EBONY WAS BORED OUT OF HER MIND AND DECIDED TO WANDER AROUND THE CASTLE when she heard voices come from Snape's office. She had absolutely no idea what was going on but she recognized Snape's voice being one of them. 

"So!" says Snape, his long nostrils quivering. "Is this another treasured gift from Mr. Weasley? Or is it — something else? A letter, perhaps, written in invisible ink? Or — instructions to get into Hogsmeade without passing the dementors?" Ebony frowns at the man's words.

"Let me see, let me see . . . ," he mutters, taking out his wand and smoothing the map out on his desk. "Reveal your secret!" he says, touching the wand to the parchment. Silence follows for a moment before Snape continues. 

"Show yourself!" It's only now that Ebony realizes it's the Marauders Map they are talking about. She clenches her fists next to her body in anger. How did Harry manage to get caught with it?

"Professor Severus Snape, master of this school, commands you to yield the information you conceal!" Snape says, hitting the map with his wand.

"Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business." Ebony snorts but quickly covers her mouth. The same thing had happened to her when she was asked about the map by professor Flitwick in her second year. He could see the fun in it though.

"Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."

"Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor."

"Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball."

Ebony waits for the blow to fall. She would love to see Harry get in trouble for all of this. Snape is not necessarily the kind to laugh with jokes like these. 

"So . . . ," says Snape softly. "We'll see about this. . . ."

"Lupin!" Snape calls into the fire. "I want a word!"

"You called, Severus?" Lupin asks mildly.

"I certainly did," Snape replies. "I have just asked Potter to empty his pockets. He was carrying this." Silence. "Well?" Snape asks impatiently. "Well?" says Snape again. "This parchment is plainly full of Dark Magic. This is supposed to be your area of expertise, Lupin. Where do you imagine Potter got such a thing?"

Ebony closes her eyes, hoping with all her might that he isn't going to rat her out. If Harry tells them he got it from the twins, they would look for her too. Simple as that. She knows she won't get in trouble with Professor Lupin seeing as he is her uncle... and come to think of it, Snape will probably let it slide since she's a Slytherin but that doesn't mean the twins will get out of it so easily.

"Full of Dark Magic?" Lupin repeats mildly. "Do you really think so, Severus? It looks to me as though it is merely a piece of parchment that insults anybody who reads it. Childish, but surely not dangerous? I imagine Harry got it from a joke shop —"

"Indeed?" Snape asks, angrily.  "You think a joke shop could supply him with such a thing? You don't think it more likely that he got it directly from the manufacturers?" Ebony's breath hitches. Snape knows? That's a wild piece of information.

"You mean, by Mr. Wormtail or one of these people?" Lupin asks. "Harry, do you know any of these men?"

"No," Harry answers quickly.