16

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

EBONY COULDN'T HELP BUT FEEL INCREDIBLY PROUD AT THAT MOMENT. She had always wanted her dad to be innocent, to come home and protect her from her nightmares. Well, this defeats all that and more. Though, Snape decides to ignore his words and turn to Remus. 

"You're wondering, perhaps, how I knew you were here?" he asks, his eyes glittering. "I've just been to your office, Lupin. You forgot to take your potion tonight, so I took a gobletful along. And very lucky I did . . . lucky for me, I mean. Lying on your desk was a certain map. One glance at it told me all I needed to know. I saw you running along this passageway and out of sight."

"Severus —" Lupin begins, but Snape overrides him.

"I've told the headmaster again and again that you're helping your old friend Black into the castle, Lupin, and here's the proof. Not even I dreamed you would have the nerve to use this old place as your hideout —"

"Severus, you're making a mistake," says Lupin urgently. "You haven't heard everything — I can explain — Sirius is not here to kill Harry —"

"Two more for Azkaban tonight,"  Snape replies, his eyes now gleaming fanatically. 

"If you send them to Azkaban..." Ebony says, raising her wand at him. "Then you'll have to send me too. Like father, like daughter, am I right?" She asks, smirking. Sirius grins too, satisfied.

"I shall be interested to see how Dumbledore takes this. . . . He was quite convinced you were harmless, you know, Lupin . . . a tame werewolf — and you, Black's daughter -- Just a harmless child."

"You fool," says Lupin softly. "Is a schoolboy grudge worth putting an innocent man back inside Azkaban?"

BANG! Thin, snakelike cords burst from the end of Snape's wand and twisted themselves around Lupin's mouth, wrists, and ankles; he overbalanced and fell to the floor, unable to move. With a roar of rage, Black started toward Snape, but Snape points his wand straight between Black's eyes.

"Give me a reason," he whispers. "Give me a reason to do it, and I swear I will."

Black stops dead. It would have been impossible to say which face showed more hatred.

"Anteoculatia!" Ebony screams, her wand still pointed at Snape who now grows antlers on his thick head. "Hold up, that was the wrong spell." She whispers. Black stiffens a laugh. "Sternius!" As if on cue, Snape starts to sneeze.

"Really? That's the best you can think off?" Sirius asks, frowning at her.

"I'd never have to think this fast, give me a moment. I'm saving your pathetic ass here."

Hermione, however, takes an uncertain step toward Snape and says, in a very breathless voice, "Professor Snape — it — it wouldn't hurt to hear what they've got to say, w-would it?"

"Miss Granger, you are already facing suspension from this school," Snape spits before sneezing again. "You, Potter, and Weasley are out-of-bounds, in the company of a convicted murderer and a werewolf. For once in your life, hold your tongue." And he once again sneezes. 

"But if — if there was a mistake —"

"KEEP QUIET, YOU STUPID GIRL!" Snape shouts *Sneeze*, looking suddenly quite deranged. "DON'T TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!" A few sparks shot out of the end of his wand, which is still pointed at Black's face. Hermione falls silent. "Expelliarmus!" Ebony's wand falls out of her hands.