40

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

IT WAS A NORMAL SATURDAY MORNING, when Ebony barged into Professor McGonagall's classroom with some old photos that hung on the wall somewhere in the castle. Minerva was startled for a good moment before her eyes landed on the raven-haired girl.

"Miss Black, I do not believe you have detention--" Professor McGonagall stops when she sees the framed photo in Ebony's hands.

"I'm not here for detention, Minnie." 

She sits down in front of her Transfiguration professor and puts the framed photo down in front of her. For a moment, Minerva looks down with a small smile on her face. The photo was taken of all seventh year students who graduated in 1977. 

"Could you point out Esme Thorns and Katherine Plaingrove to me, please?" Ebony asks. She had been rather determined to find anything relating to her past since Sirius told her about it.

"Ah, you have been in contact with your father, I believe." Professor McGonagall replies. "Don't worry, I won't tell a soul." The woman adds. "Is one of these women your mother?"

"Esme Thorns is, yes, but Katherine. . . apparently she had something to do with Remus?"

"Oh, yes, I remember that." Minerva replies, smiling softly. "This is Esme Thorns." She points at a beautiful woman with dark hair and piercing green eyes, her aura is intimidating but regardless of that, she has a small smile on her face. 

"Could you tell me a little about her?" Ebony asks, curiously.

"I should've known she was your mother." Minerva replies. "Esme was a very clever witch but she didn't like to use her brain too much. She took the two hardest classes only to pass with a minimum grade. I believe she had a dark family, one that would often abuse her. Pure-blooded families could be the worst when it comes to their children.

"She once came to me in her last year with a question. She asked me, 'hypothetically, if one would become pregnant in Hogwarts, what would happen to them?' I didn't look beyond it so I answered, nothing. It had happened before, you know, and it's their choice, not ours. She took that answer and disappeared again. Seeing now, I should've done more for her."

"What about Katherine Plaingrove?" Ebony asks, curiously.

"That's her." Minerva says, pointing at a blonde Hufflepuff student with a wide grin and two dimples poking out on her cheeks. "Katherine Osha Plaingrove." Minerva breathes out. "She didn't stand out much until her fifth year."

"How come?"

"Katherine was born in a pure-blooded family." Minerva replies. "Have you ever heard about the Plaingrove witches?" Ebony shakes her head. "The women in the family were destined to become potion makers, they had cures for all kinds of illnesses but they only used their power for pure-blooded witches and wizards."

"That's discrimination." Ebony states.

"I know. They believed pure-blooded witches and wizards were superior, does that sound familiar to you?"

"Voldemort." Ebony states, Minerva hums.

"They were true followers of him." She continues. "Katherine despised muggle-borns as much as anyone else in her family until a specific sandy haired werewolf tutored her." Minerva states. Ebony grins. "Katherine became nicer to teach, sweeter to talk to and just overall happier.

"In her sixth year, she found out that Remus was a werewolf after they had become good friends. Katherine broke her family traditions and created Wolfsbane potion as first one ever. She did this to help her friend during his transformations. She used her power for good, not just for pure-bloods. Her family wasn't happy, of course." Minerva states. "I don't know what happened to her."