❦ Part Two: Old Friends ❦

GENESIS'S POV (AGE, 19, YEAR 2040)

I tied the curls of my hair up and away from my face as I took out my cell phone as I leaned my back against the cool cement of the university building. It was a late night finishing up assignments, again, and I was absolutely exhausted again. I rang my father's phone number and pressed the device to my ear, but it just kept ringing and he never picked up. Great, it was 21 at night and I was being ghosted by the man who is the very reason I'm on this godforsaken planet in the first place.

I thread my pen through my tied-up hair and groaned in frustration standing awkwardly by the doorway, watching the other students who'd stayed late going home together. I usually did absolutely everything in my power to remain on campus in my apartment at all costs, but my father always insisted on me coming home for the weekends. But he was a scientist before he was my father, and it became evident that ever since his marvellous new creation was unveiled to the world and he sold out that that was where his priorities lay.

Before the invention of his ASTRO hospitality robots, and his advancements in the field of cryonics he was regarded by many in his field of work as a complete joke. No one had faith in him, and no one took him seriously, not even his wife. My mother left him the very instant she wasn't getting the amount of attention she so desperately needed and they were divorced within the following months. He was then fired from his job at a local hospital and devoted his time day in and day out to perfecting his craft.

They all said he went mad, that he was wasting his potential and sacrificing his family in the process. But I never did, I believed in him and I had faith, why? Because he always had faith in me. And I couldn't possibly imagine what it must've been like for him to turn his back on his home in Zambia and follow the love of his life out to her own country, where he knew no one but her and her incredibly disapproving family. It must've been isolating.
So I believe that he managed to find purpose again through his studies in robotics, the craft of making something out of nothing.

My sister Cassidy was my father's pride and joy, ever since the day she was born he made sure that no matter what she would grow up to be great. My parents would play classical music to her when she was in the womb, they would feed her only "brain foods" and practically made sure her first words were reciting the quadratic formula. Cass was student body president in secondary school and was going to be valedictorian at her graduation, the girl knew long division before she could swing on the jungle gym for Christ's sake, she was a force to be reckoned with.