❦Part 17: The Lakes ❦

The weekend rolled around sooner than expected, I spent most of the week shuffling between my various obligations; science at 5:30, statistics at 7:00, tutoring at 8:15, bird watching with my dad, and shopping with my mom at 9:00. One would think having to do all these various activities so early in the morning would be tiring and that no teenager should have to spend their days spotting purple sandpipers with their parents.

But this is how it's always been, probably how it always will be for me. Birds of a feather flock together, you'll never see a tigress having tea with a snail.

If there's one thing one must understand about the lives of people from money, is that it was planned for them before they were even born. But you already know that right? you know it damn well.

After horse riding practice that Saturday, Chihiro,  our friend Elizabeth Hollister from Engineering 101 and her long-time boyfriend Mark Vanderbilt made our way down to the lake to take a breather. Mark is Xolani's younger and more tolerable step brother. Elizabeth's family originally came from Senegal but built their dynasty in the USA selling oil to big companies. She has brown skin, just like my own, and curly dark hair. She has generous curves and big brown eyes, there was no denying she was gorgeous.

"Okay, so what did Nate say we needed to buy again?" I ask Mark, he wore a Lacoste tennis uniform and a grey newsboy cap,

"Ice, sunscreen, and drinks." He told us checking the extensive list Lilly handed him, "they've already bought the rest."

"We need to buy new swimsuits." Chihiro  interrupted, "no way we're going to wear last season's collection, the seas need to see us at our finest."

"Oh definitely," I agreed with her, mostly because I forgot to pack any good ones I had, "are you coming, Lil?"

Lilly turned to look Mark in the eye, it was almost as if they were having this silent conversation we couldn't hear but when he placed his hand over hers and kissed her forehead she turned back.
"Okay let's go!" She chirped taking his credit card from him, "we're not going to Vintage Violet though they're so last season."

"Oh gag me with a spoon." Chihiro scoffed, "their winter collection made me want to call the fashion police."

"So how are things going with you and Mark?" I asked her and she shifted her attention to me,

"Going three years strong, I'm so glad our parents decided to set us up, he's the best thing that ever happened to me" she beamed smiling at the wedding band on her ring finger, "we want a fall wedding next year."

"Isn't it scary though?" Vivienne asks, "getting engaged so young, I mean I know it's only a matter of time before my parents attempt set me up too but still... aren't you scared?"

Elizabeth pauses before answering, " fear is just a reaction to something new, but courage is a decision to find a way to make things work. I've known I was going to wed Mark Vanderbilt since I was sixteen, I chose courage then. I chose to open my heart to him and then all of a sudden...fear wasn't even an option anymore."

"He's really got you smitten huh?" I spoke swooning like in one of those old romance films we used to watch,

"You're totally buggin Lilly!" Chihiro mocked, "how do you even know you're ready for all that?"

"Listen in close girls because this one is the biggest secret of all..." she spoke ominously and we both huddled around her, "you just know."

He stepped back and laughed at her 'big secret'
"What about you Genesis, any special guys lately?" Lilly asks as we approach the boutique, making our way in and exploring the various swimming costumes.