Preface

So, I am looking at eventually getting this novel published. I really want some feedback, so here is the Preface. PLEASE comment. good, bad WHATEVER I appreciate it all.

Thanks in advance

Preface

When my brother used to joke about people being brain dead I'd laugh. Now, looking at the hoard of Zombies trying to kill me, I realize that the joke was on me. But I'm 17. What do I know about being dead?

The only thing between me and them was the broken mop handle jamming the glass doors shut. I jabbed the elevator close button hard again. I was too close to winning.

The doors were closing too slowly. I held my breath and started to count.

One. Pound. Nine more seconds and I would be home free.

Two. The bar was already giving way. I couldn't give up hope now. There's no way to reinforce the barrier.

Three. I watched as a crack began to form. So close. Too close. If only these doors would close.

Four. The mop splintered in two. Time seemed to freeze on me. The whole room growing cold and still.

Five. The mop still held. I was half-way there.

Six. Bang. Again they rammed the door. This time it shattered. The pieces of what remained of the mop slid across the floor. I couldn't give up. He was counting on me.

Seven. Bodies were piling in, tripping over each other to get to me. Just a few more seconds. I wanted to close my eyes. To make it all go away, but...

Eight. The elevators doors were almost closed. I was almost home free.

Nine. One had broken away from the pack. I could see it racing towards me through the small crack in the door. I shut my eyes to keep myself from screaming. If this meant that I could find him, save him from whatever fate he'd resigned himself to, then it would all be worth it.

Ten. The doors closed. The lift began to rise.

I was about to sigh in relief until I saw it: half of a hand sticking through the doors. The saddest part? I knew those fingers.