Back on Track

"I'm keeping the original," I stated, loud but firm, for the fifth time. Principal Lain just stared long and hard at me. I had gotten arrested for this particular piece of paper, spent a night in jail, and now had spent three hours waiting to have the computer glitch fixed. I was not about to give up my only proof of completion, even if he was the principal.

"No offense, sir," I stated again."It's just you can understand my lack of trust given the advice I received previously from this office."

The look on his face told me he was anything but 'not offended.' Well, I didn't trust him. So I guess we were at an impasse.

"Young Lady, we need the origina lfor your permanent record," he stated flatly, again.

"And I was told just a day ago that you don't keep hard copies anymore."

"In this case we will be making an exception."

"Then you will not mind keeping a copy in that record and me keeping the original," I stated firmly. "Wouldn't want you losing that, too."

This is what it was like for two of those three hours. He could see I wasn't about to budge.

"Fine, Miss McMilland. We'll make an exception this time. You may go back to class." I didn't think twice about it. I simply left.

As I was closing the door I heard him add, "But make sure you don't miss any classes. We wouldn't want you failing for days missed or not turning in your books today being the Wednesday before graduation and all."

'Jerk,' I mouthed back at the closing door. He had a point. There was no way I was going to miss any more class.

Once outside the office I did a little happy dance. My graduation was back on track. Score one for the good girls.Now to make good on the other two things he'd threatened me with. Straight back to class I went. Model student walking, here.

At lunch I went to turn in my books. Looking at the line I thought, "This is probably going to take longer than lunch. Hope they're giving out passes."

The line was slow moving and all my books together were super heavy.

"I wish I could put these down," I said. Lee Ann had turned in her books yesterday with the rest of my class, so I was alone. Only I, the hardened criminal, was left out.

"Oops, sorry." I'd missed the edge of one of the stone tiles and bumped the guy in front of me. Static shock bit my hands.

"It's ok. Let me help you with that," said Gideon. All the books I'd been carrying had fallen, but my mind was more worried about the fact I'd totally missed Gideon. How had I not noticed that he was in front of me? I was an expert at recognizing Gideon from behind. Prison hadn't changed him that much.

"Glad to know I'm not here alone," I said as he handed me back the books. Make that two hardened criminals.It was kind of nice having someone here with me.

"I would like a receipt,please." The book lady just stared at me. "A receipt?Please?"

"It's all electronic."

"So can you print one then."

She stared hard at me over her large glasses. "No."

"Ok, then I will take a handwritten one," I said back.

She gave me another withering look."Those are ancient. I don't even know where the paper is."

"I'll wait." There was noway that I was leaving this up to chance. They could hold you if you didn't turn in all your books, and I didn't have the money to pay for replacements if the computer glitched again.