Try What?

I smelled Michael before I saw him at the top of the bleachers. I'd been right in my assumptions. He hadn't showered since I'd last seen him.

He handed me a folder.

"What's this?" I asked. He answered my question with one of his own.

"Who's the guy?"

"Who?" Michael pointed to the bottom of the bleachers where Gideon was standing looking all kinds of nervous.

"Oh, him? Forget about him. He's just some guy from my school. I don't know why, but he chose today to be my stalker." Ok, it wasn't a total lie. I knew part of the reason, but not why he was still hanging around. "Why do you ask? Is he part of the 'they' you told me not to trust?" I was joking with him, but Michael didn't seem to take it that way. He was super indignant and flighty all of a sudden. Maybe I could have used a better ice breaker.

He shoved a large envelope into my hand. Silence stretched out between us. I looked at the envelope. The letters M.A.A.S. were printed in bold type on the outside. Something about those letters triggered fear in me. I didn't want to even be holding this thing. Part of me just wanted to run very far away.

"What is this?" I asked, trying to hand it back. Michael refused to take it.

"Take a look for yourself."

I was hesitant to do just that. I opened it and found it full of papers. I slid out a handful. I gingerly flipped through the small stack I'd taken out. Sheets of house blueprints, character cards, and a bunch of computer code.

"How did you get these?" I asked. He shrugged. I gave him a dirty look.

"They were on your brother's desk," he said. I knew that my brother was smarter than to leave something this valuable just lying around. I really didn't want to know how messed up the room was now. I changed the subject.

"What's the point of these?" I asked.

"They're just the start," Michael said quietly. "Your brother also wrote a hack to get into the main system." He pointed to the pages of computer code.

"What system?"

"This system," he pointed to the folder. "M.A.A.S. isn't just a house, it's a massive multi-player live action RPG."

"RPG?" I asked. Michael rolled his eyes.

"Role Playing Game."

It was all a game. This whole time. Everything had been just a game? Knowing this was making me frustrated.

"A game?" I asked again, not believing the answer. "Literally?"

"Shh. People are listening," Michael replied. "Yes, literally."

"So the house is like a big video game," I stated, quietly this time. I was trying to get a handle on this.

"Yeah," Michael said. "Anyone can play as a Zombie, they are kind of like extras, but only freshmen get to be a Runner."

"A Runner?" I asked. Michael sighed.

"They are the main player. Everything else in the game is against them." So if Brian had been a host, how was he involved in all of this? And why had he had this folder? It wasn't adding up. There had to be something I was missing. And there were so many character sheets in the envelope. Why would Brian have them, and what did they mean?

"How long has this game been going?" I asked.

Michael shrugged again. "Since your brother was a freshman here."

"So at least four years," I supplied out loud. In my head I added, 'Since the party incident.'

Michael had a strange look on his face, like there was something he was trying to tell me, but couldn't.

"What is it?" I asked. "What aren't you telling me?"

He pointed at the envelope. "Brian had all of that because he was hosting the party. And he hasn't been seen since. I think..." He paused. "I think he's still there." He shook his head. "Correction: I know he's still there. Tech doesn't lie."

I stared at Michael. Why would Brian still be at that creepy house? The party had been almost a week ago. Michael had to be wrong. But what if he wasn't? What if the only way I could see Brian was to play this crazy game?

"So if I don't want to play the game, how else can I get in?" I asked.

"You could be a Zombie, but spots are limited and they don't get access cards, so it's not likely that you could make it up to the control room where you last saw your brother," he said. "And you'd have to wear makeup." He looked around again, staring straight at Gideon. "I don't recommend wearing the makeup."

"There aren't any other options?" I asked. Playing a live video game against zombies didn't sound fun at all.

He shook his head. "The house is impenetrable by day. I couldn't even tell you how to get there. The only way is by boat. It's not listed on any GPS I could find. Even with guidance it would be hard. The thing is hidden. It's a wonder your brother found it. I know I couldn't have. Plus, something makes me think that Zombies get herded around. You know, brainless and all." He was still looking right at Gideon. Then he looked back at the field. I followed his eyes to a crowd of girls in white shirts and short shorts. I looked closer and recognized Bite My Butt.

"Ok, my options are to become a Zombie and get herded around, or run around trying to escape people who want to catch me," I said back at him. "Great choices."

"You could be a sponsor like your brother," he said. "They get an all-access pass just like the Runner. But I don't think you're sitting on half a million dollars or mad programming skills." He stopped and looked me once over. "Are you?"

I shook my head. I wasn't even sitting on enough change to get me a bus ride back to Bellevue.

"So how do I become a Runner?" I asked.

He pointed straight at Bite My Butt. "She's your ticket in," he said. "If you want to be a Runner, you have to try out. And you're in luck; tryouts are today." He leaned back against the bleacher and stared hungrily at the white shirted females. The bleacher groaned underneath his weight.

"Run along, you don't want to be late." He smacked me on the butt. I wanted to slap him, but he was right. I needed to get down to that field to win my way into a horror show. It was the only way to find out for sure what happened to Brian.

"By the way, " he called out, "watch out for your stalker. He's one of 'them.'"