Killing The Spare and A Sense of Despair

(Y/N)'s POV

Bagman led us to the changing room that Hogwarts uses for Quidditch and handed each of us a hoodie, "Wicked, we get our own special tri-wizard hoodies, can we keep these after?" I asked Bagman, he smiled and nodded. 

Looking it over, it was different from Cedric's who had a yellow version, but mine was different from Harry's too, it was lined with (F/C) and had (L/N) emblazoned on the back. We walked onto the Quidditch field, which was now completely unrecognisable. 

A twenty-foot-high hedge ran all the way around the edge of it. There was a gap right in front of them: the entrance to the vast maze. The passage beyond it looked dark and creepy. Five minutes later, the stands had begun to fill; the air was full of excited voices and the rumbling of feet as the hundreds of students filed into their seats.

The sky was a deep, clear blue now, and the first stars were starting to appear. Hagrid, Professor Moody, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Flitwick came walking into the stadium and approached Bagman and the champions. 

They were wearing large, red, luminous stars on their hats, all except Hagrid, who had his on the back of his moleskin vest. "We are going to be patrolling the outside of the maze," said Professor McGonagall to the champions. 

"If you get into difficulty, and wish to be rescued, send red sparks into the air, and one of us will come and get you, do you understand?" The champions nodded. "Off you go, then!" said Bagman brightly.

Mum and Dad were stood behind me giving me support and encouragement "Why not colours matching our snazzy new hoodies, differentiate who's who for the audience?" I said to Dad, he shrugged. 

Bagman pointed his wand at his throat, muttered, "Sonorus," and his magically magnified voice echoed into the stands. "Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand!" 

"Tied in first place, with eighty-five points each — Mr. Cedric Diggory and Mr. Harry Potter, both of Hogwarts School!" The cheers and applause sent birds from the Forbidden Forest fluttering into the darkening sky. 

"In second place, with eighty points — Mr. Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!" More applause. "In third place — Miss Fleur Delacour, of Beauxbatons Academy!" "In fifth place, (Y/N) (L/N) of Hogwarts" There was some applause 

"So . . . on my whistle, Harry and Cedric!" said Bagman. "Three — two — one —" He gave a short blast on his whistle, and Harry and Cedric hurried forward into the maze. I waited as Viktor and Fleur went next, then it was my turn.

"Do your best." mum said, I nodded "Don't worry, I got this" I took a deep breath and stepped forward but then I changed my mind, I started to walk backwards into the maze, taking one more look back at my friends and family.

 I looked at my parents who were already shifting nervously, and I looked right at them, stuck my tongue out and gave a wink. As I took my first two steps into the maze it closed behind me, the thick bushes that made up the walls around me collapsed behind me, meaning I only had one path. Forward.

It was dark, so dark that I could barely see two feet in front of me, even by wand light, it was like there was a fog that was only in the maze, but that wasn't the worst part, it was silent, eerily silent, it was so quiet I could only hear my own breathing.

Every so often a small sound would catch my attention, a rustling of bushes, a footstep, and that's when I realised, this maze wasn't normal. It was almost as if it was...alive.

My concerns were all but confirmed when I came to my first diverted path, I could continue going straight or head to the left, after pausing a minute I figured I'd go left, I could always come back if it led to a dead end, so I turned to head that way, until a very violent rustling noise broke the silence.