Final Gifts and Family Rifts

(Y/N)'s POV

The train ride home was interesting to say the least, I went to make my way inside the compartment with Ron and Harry only to find something honestly quite disturbing. "Bit clingy there Lav don't you think?"

I watched her make a weird marking on the train door to profess her and Ron's joint love, I think it was meant to be a heart? I dont know, it was a fog stain on the window. She quickly giggled, shrugged and moved on, I just slipped into the compartment. "Real keeper there Ron,"

I laughed at her intensity, "Like seriously, you'd better keep her or you might lose something important" I said, making a snipping motion with my fingers. He looked very shaken by this observation, and I don't blame him.

Hermione soon joined, but saw the marking on the door and left in a huff. Watching this I looked at Harry and Ron, then awkwardly shrugged, mouthing a sorry to the boys, I followed her.

During our walk after the party, she explained to me that she was willing to go back to the way things were soon, but needed the Christmas break to mull things over because she was still angry at Ron and was trying to figure it out.

I told her she could take all the time she needed but I had been trying to get closer to her again so I spent the train journey chatting to her and not so subtly singing her praises, I could tell she knew what I was doing but still found it rather entertaining.

But because we were in a different compartment also occupied with Neville, Luna, Ginny and surprisingly Dean. I wasn't able to tell her about our encounter with Malfoy. 

I wanted to hear her opinion but needed to keep in secret, and to be fair, I was a little put off by the snogging next to me. "Dean, could you knock it off, I don't particularly want to see you stick your tongue down the throat of a girl I consider to be my sister."

I finally snapped after twenty minutes of awkwardness. When they broke apart and began awkwardly shuffling I felt guilty. "Or at least get another compartment" Ginny pouted as I released Bones.

"Everywhere else is full." "When is it not Gin? I'm sure you can make do" I sighed. This outburst that led to the rest of the train ride being filled with awkward silence that nearly drove me to insanity.

It was clear that Ron had been filled in on the Malfoy situation. I could tell by his stunned grimace as I was wishing Hermione a good Christmas and saying goodbye, but as we learnt several times in the Burrow, he was having trouble grasping it's intricacies. 

On Christmas Eve we were standing alone at the Burrow's kitchen sink, peeling a mountain of sprouts for Mrs. Weasley. Snow was drifting past the window in front of us. "So Snape was offering to help him? He was definitely offering to help him?"

"If you ask that once more," said Harry, "I'm going to stick this sprout —" "I'm only checking!" said Ron. "For the tenth time..."I said, "This minute" ended Harry "Yes, Snape was offering to help him!" said Harry.

"He said he'd promised Malfoy's mother to protect him, that he'd made an Unbreakable Oath or something —" "An Unbreakable Vow?" said Ron, looking stunned and dropping a sprout. He looked to me in confirmation, I nodded grimly.

I had only heard about them recently, as I was researching my charm. I figured if I learnt about spells that killed either their caster or their victim I could learn to counter them "Yes, I'm sure," said Harry.

"Why, what does it mean?" "Well, you can't break an Unbreakable Vow..." "I'd worked that much out for myself, funnily enough." Scoffed Harry, "Clue's in the name" I chuckled "What happens if you break it, then?" "You die," said Ron simply.