Retaliation and Wand Examination

(Y/N)'s POV

Something caught my eye later in the week, there was a large crowd gathered around the main courtyard and some wailing sobs. We pushed to the front and for once I was happy I was so tall, I had a great view of the drama.

I noticed Professor McGonagall looked as though what she was watching made her feel faintly sick. Which of course made me very concerned. Professor Trelawney was standing in the middle of the courtyard with her wand in one hand and an empty sherry bottle in the other, looking utterly mad.

But not her normal mad, like a sad mad. Two large trunks lay on the floor beside her, one of them upside down; it looked very much as though it had been thrown down the stairs after her. "No!" she shrieked.

"NO! This cannot be happening. . . . It cannot . . . I refuse to accept it!" "You didn't realise this was coming?" said a high girlish voice, sounding callously amused, Professor Umbridge.

"Incapable though you are of predicting even tomorrow's weather, you must surely have realised that your pitiful performance during my inspections, and lack of any improvement, would make it inevitable you would be sacked?"

"You c-can't!" howled Professor Trelawney, tears streaming down her face from behind her enormous lenses, "you c-can't sack me! I've b-been here sixteen years! H-Hogwarts is m-my h-home!"

My heart swelled with emotion and I parted the crowd to get closer to the scene. "It was your home," said Professor Umbridge, I felt sick to my stomach, I wasn't overly fond of Trelawney, but she didn't deserve this.

"until an hour ago, when the Minister of Magic countersigned the order for your dismissal. Now kindly remove yourself from the premises. You are embarrassing us." Pushing closer, I found Lavender and Parvati were both crying silently, their arms around each other.

I put a sympathetic hand on their shoulders, they looked up at me in tears. We watched together as Professor McGonagall marched straight up to Professor Trelawney and was patting her firmly on the back while withdrawing a large handkerchief from within her robes.

"There, there, Sibyll . . . Calm down. . . . Blow your nose on this. . . . It's not as bad as you think, now. . . . You are not going to have to leave Hogwarts. . . ." "Oh really, Professor McGonagall?" said Umbridge in a deadly voice, taking a few steps forward. "

And your authority for that statement is...?" "That would be mine," said a deep voice. Dumbledore appeared in the entrance. "Yours, Professor Dumbledore?" said Umbridge with a singularly unpleasant little laugh.

"I'm afraid you do not understand the position. I have here" she pulled a parchment scroll from within her robes. "An Order of Dismissal signed by myself and the Minister of Magic. Under the terms of Educational Decree Number Twenty-three."

"The High Inquisitor of Hogwarts has the power to inspect, place upon probation, and sack any teacher she, that is to say, I, feel is not performing up to the standard required by the Ministry of Magic. I have decided that Professor Trelawney is not up to scratch. I have dismissed her."

"You are quite right, of course, Professor Umbridge. As High Inquisitor you have every right to dismiss my teachers. You do not, however, have the authority to send them away from the castle. I am afraid," he went on, with a courteous little bow.

"The power to do that still resides with the headmaster, and it is my wish that Professor Trelawney continue to live at Hogwarts." I had to physically stop myself from shouting "HA!"

He turned to Professor McGonagall. "Might I ask you to escort Sibyll back upstairs, Professor McGonagall?" "Of course," said McGonagall. "Up you get, Sibyll. . . ." At this point I cut through the crowd, along with Lavender and Parvati rushed to her side and tried to comfort her.