Chapter 5

The words hadn't even sunk in but her feet were already on the move. Dalia did not wait for Raysa to utter an explanation when she dashed out of her chamber, barefoot and tresses dripping trails down her frock. She didn't care how unkempt she looked, her face unveiled, as she passed the many servants that were shocked to see her uncovered, running frantically through the Palace.

Dalia had to get to her sister before they took her.

"Yasmin!" She cried as soon as she stepped foot into the quarters of the Harem. "Yasmin, where are you?!"

Dalia abruptly stopped. She had entered a large domed area, the bright smile of the sun beaming through the glass ceiling. If not for how breathless and clammy she felt, the warm glow would have felt soothing. The familiar sounds of birds chirping pricked her ears.

It had been years since she had been here. Not since her mother passed. She had even changed locations of her chambers, not wanting to be anywhere near the spiteful toxic environment, and here she was finally stepping foot in it.

An unsettling heaviness rooted her in her spot.

"Yasmin!" She called. "Tarek!"

The sounds of footsteps were almost a relief until she was greeted by the distraught face of the twin's mother and her father's most favoured consort Gaia. Her servants supported her limbs on all sides as they carried her in.

After the death of her mother, Masood's mother had taken the title of Queen consort despite the King's inclined favour to the twin's mother. Not only did this instil a loathsome relationship between both consorts, but also encouraged a hatred that Masood felt towards the twins.

Dalia's eyebrows knitted together. "What is going on-'' she muttered, her eyes locking with the consort's before the woman leapt up from her previously fragile composure and grabbed Dalia by the arms.

"You!" she spat, her face stricken with tears. "This is all your fault! They took my baby because of you!"

Dalia hadn't even noticed Raysa behind her until her handmaiden jumped in, trying to pry Gaia's hands off of her.

"They took Yasmin! They took my baby! They're taking her away from me forever! This is all your fault!" she continued shrieking, her tears and spit flying onto Dalia.

Along with the help of her handmaiden, Dalia attempted to break free from her iron grip but the guilt only made her legs feel weak. They both sank to the ground in a heap.

"My baby is being taken away from me!" Gaia wailed, her usually braided blonde hair now a bird's nest of tangles.

Her grip tightened as she shook Dalia, nails sinking in deeper. Dalia's eyes prickled from the pain.

"Where is she?! Where is Yasmin!" she gritted, her voice barely audible over the wailing.

Just then a new set of footsteps entered upon them pulling Dalia's attention.

"Dalee!"

It was Tarek. He took in the sight of them and rushed over, tugging at his mother's arms.

"Let go Mama! Dalee needs to find Yasmin!"

"Where is she, Tarek? Where did they take her?" Dalia demanded.

"They took her to Baba,"

Dalia nodded and turned back to his mother. "Will you let go?!"

Gaia's face twisted into a snarl. "This is all your fault!"

"I'm not going to let them take Yasmin, so will you let go?!" Dalia huffed, still attempting to release her arm.