Chapter 12

Harun's eyes searched for hope in his father's pale face as he lay tucked under the cotton sheets. His body was motionless, except for the gentle rise and fall of his chest, an abnormal whistling sound accompanying it. His father was not recovering. As Harun glanced across the bed to where Abbas sat, he knew his youngest brother was hoping for the same as he.

They had both been urgently summoned to their parent's chambers after their father had suffered another fit. Since the poisoning, he was still coughing up blood, and his poor appetite meant there was nothing left of their father except the skin on his bones.

Beside Harun sat his mother, cradling her husband's gaunt hand in her own, eyes closed as she whispered prayers, rocking gently to and fro.

"Ibni,"

The small voice of his father snapped Harun's attention. He shuffled closer bringing his ear over his father's pale lips. Abbas did the same.

"Na'am Baba," Harun replied.

"I feel my time is coming to an end," Ilyaas slowly rasped, heaving for air after every few words.

A sob interrupted them. Abbas lifted his head to find tears pouring from his mother's closed eyes. She was still cupping his father's hand, her lips moving in silent plea.

"I can feel it," Ilyaas continued. "I can feel my energy seeping away, and when there is none left, next will be my soul,"

Harun felt his eyes sting. He lifted his gaze and found his father's eyes frozen on the bedframe above him.

"Baba," he pleaded but did not know what to say. It was clear as day. No words could console his father or himself.

"Allah Yarhamak," Abbas whispered.

"I am being punished, for what I did to my brothers, for Faris," Ilyaas exhaled.

Abbas sighed. "Baba, you had your reasons,"

Ilyaas shut his eyes.

"I turned him into a monster. I was so harsh on him when he was grieving, and now Allah is punishing me," He paused to inhale. "Much rather I receive the punishment of this world than the next,"

"No Baba, Allah only tests those He loves," Harun opposed.

Abbas nodded. "Indeed. He tests us to strengthen our faith in Him, and to purify us of our sins,"

Ilyaas dipped his chin in agreement.

Harun pressed his lips. He glanced over at his brother who met his eyes and nodded. Despite their father's poor condition, they had to ask, lest to rectify the issue.

"Baba," Harun called. "Abbas and I have been thinking about Am,"

He paused to gauge his father's reaction, but Ilyaas' eyes remained closed.

"Is it not time we decided on his punishment?" he ended.

A long pause drifted between them. Their mother lifted her head up and passed a frown between her sons.

The look of disdain on their mother's face made Abbas turn away, but he chimed in. "We know what the punishment is for treachery,"

Their father opened his eyes once more and shook his head.

"What makes you hesitant to fulfill it?" Harun prodded, aware of his mother's hand now on his lap in a warning.

"I cannot, imprisonment is enough," he answered.

"Baba, look what he has done to you," Abbas interrupted, his voice raising with emotion. "Look what he did to Ustad!"

"Abbas-" Humayra warned her anger quelling, but upon noticing the glassy film over his eyes, felt sympathy.