Chapter 10

Abbas and Haifa had finally retired to their rooms for the evening. The moment the doors shut behind them, Abbas turned to his wife and engulfed her in his arms.

"Habibi," Haifa called out from under his chin. "I know you have missed me-"

"Indeed I have," Abbas affirmed.

"But I'm struggling to breathe,"

Abbas' arms loosened instantly.

"Forgive Hayaati, for getting carried away," he said, drawing back to take in her appearance. "I am in awe that I have finally returned to your arms,"

Haifa's smile took his breath away. Her cheeks were round and  full of colour, and her emerald-infused chocolate eyes sparkled just as they did the first time their eyes met.

"I am so relieved that you have returned to me unharmed, Alhamdulillah,"

"Alhamdulillah," he reciprocated, dropping a kiss on her forehead, then on each eye, following a trail down her nose, on her cheeks, and finally her lips.

When he drew back, Abbas gave her an awkward smile.

"But Hayaati,"

"Mhm?" Haifa hummed in question.

"Please don't misunderstand me..." he started.

"What is it?"

Abbas paused to take a deep breath. "Have you..."

"Yes?"

"Have you...been eating well?"

Haifa's brows crossed in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Not that there is anything wrong with a bit of fullness...in fact...I like a bit of..."

Haifa only looked more puzzled.

"Squish." Abbas finished.

It took Haifa a good few seconds before her face contorted into pure amusement and a fit of laughter escaped from her. Abbas stood quietly watching as she laughed uncontrollably, clutching her belly.

"You think I-" she said in between her laughs.

Abbas pursed his lips together and dropped his head regretfully.

"Ya Allah-" she exclaimed, still unable to cease her laughter. "I shouldn't be laughing so much, but this is hilarious!"

"Hayaati, I apologize. I didn't intend it in a bad way," Abbas said, holding her.

"Did you hear that?" Haifa then said, looking down at her stomach. "Your father thinks I'm fat!"

"Wait, Hayati I didn't mean it like that-" Abbas said, dropping to his knees. But when the words sunk in, his head whipped up to her. Haifa was with rubbing her belly and gazing at it so lovingly, which he now noticed was protruding obviously.

"Wait-" he said, grabbing her hands. "Are you...Hayaati, are you with a child?"

Haifa's face contorted into a blank expression, and she stared at him long and hard.

"No Hayaati, I've put on weight," she said bluntly, pulling her tunic back to reveal her bump.

Abbas rose to his feet.

"Come here," he said, already pulling her into his embrace, though this time, he held her gently. "Oh Hayaati I am so happy,"

"Indeed Habibi, I am with your child Alhamdulillah," Haifa whispered.