Chapter 14

"This colour would look gorgeous on you Mama," Thaina chimed, as she scooped the lustrous material in her arms. It was dyed a deep burgundy, like the colour of roses.

"Malika has an intuitive eye," The merchant pruned. "I received this roll just this morning from the Souq, it is the finest silk produced in the East!"

Ruqaya hummed from her seat. "It is beautiful, but I think it would suit you better Habibti. I am far too old to be wearing such shiny fabrics,"

Thaina gasped. "Mama? You? You are never far too old to look beautiful, don't say that!"

She unwound the roll, and with the help of the tailor, brought it to where her mother sat and slung the material across her lap. The tailor then hoisted the tall mirror in front of them.

Thaina and her mother had intended to search the Souq in quest of the best materials, like old times, but since the attack at Harun's coronation, he deemed it no longer safe for her, or any of the royal members of the family to be out, even under anonymous guise. Despite imprisoning Faris, the Royal Guard had still not been able to trace out his accomplices within Balqaas, and there was a perpetual fear that they were at this moment in time, planning his escape.

Not being able to venture out, meant that they had to bring the merchants to them. Although this was a norm amongst the nobility, Thaina preferred to meet the merchants in their comfort zone, where they were less inclined to hike up their prices because of her identity.

"You are the Malika of our country Habibti, you ought to wear this than me," her mother said.

Thaina sighed. "And I would have not been here if not for you Mama. Besides, I am not too fond of the colour,"

"Oh? I thought you loved red roses," Ruqaya muttered, her hands gliding over the material.

Thaina turned away, hoping her mother would not notice her expression souring.

"We will take five yards of this material please, in addition to the fabrics I picked out earlier," she called out to the merchant.

"You are too kind Malika," He sang and then snapped orders to his assistants who then began tidying the rest of the rolls away.

After the merchant had left, the tailors took their measurements, and finally, they were alone.

"How is everything at the Palace? I heard from your father that there were mixed reactions about Faris' sentence," Ruqaya asked, breaking a cube of sugar into her tea.

Thaina nodded. "Not everyone is happy, but it doesn't change things. Am has decided,"

"How is he doing? Humayra must be having such a tough time seeing him in this state,"

"He will not recover, the Head Physician informed us before the meeting that his body was in decline. Pray for him Mama,"

"Allah Yarhamuhu," her mother uttered, her words sounding choked.

"And the Ameera-is that her title?"

"Harun has not decided on her title yet, so she is still the Ameera,"

Ruqaya nodded. "How is she settling?"

Thaina sighed and shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know...she does not converse much with me, which is understandable,"

Ruqaya reached out for her daughter's arm.

"And you, Habibti?"

Thaina looked up. "Hm?"