Chapter 7

The thunderous drumming and jubilant cheers of the audience vibrated her palanquin as they crossed the city.

But for Dalia, the poems of celebration and joy sounded like nothing but a farewell song. The words that hummed past the lips of her people, sent her salutations and blessings on the journey ahead, but it only caused rivers to stream from her eyes. 

Despite their wishes to see their beloved Princess off, Dalia refused to draw open the thin silk curtains, lest she wanted to expose to the crowd how she truly felt. Heartbreak, dispare, fear and worst of all, betrayal.

The last words of her father haunted her out of sleep last night, mixed in with the fear of having to leave her home.

And so she sacrificed the last look of her home, preferring to shut her eyes instead and allow her emotions to numb her mind.

***

Enjoying the comforting warmth of the afternoon sun's rays, Thaina awaited in the shade of her ornate veranda, a lavish assortment of delightful nibbles paired with exquisite refreshments spread in front of her. She patiently sipped on her freshly squeezed orange juice, entranced at the way the gossamer drapes danced in the slight breeze, as she waited for her beloved to arrive. 

Since his coronation, her husband had been nothing but busy. Thaina understood all too well but the speckle of disappointment that tucked itself in the corner of her heart was tenaciously stubborn. The few moments they had together were precious. On multiple occasions, Harun had even slipped away just to see her but the sense of guilt and responsibility only drew him back to resuming his duties. 

But today, he had promised to see her, no matter what.

Harun caught a glimpse of his wife's silhouette when he entered their room. As much as he wanted to hastily close the gap between them, he steadied his steps and his breathing as he crept to the doors of the veranda. Her face was turned away from the door, fixed elsewhere. Harun carefully peered through the drapes and the sight of her blossomed a fond memory.

Harun quietly drew open the doors and leaned against its doorframe, admiring her from there. She still hadn't noticed his presence. 

Harun cleared his throat. 

Thaina whipped her head at the familiar sound, her face lighting up with joy. She lifted herself off the cushions but Harun closed the gap between them first, engulfing her in his arms.

Harun buried his face in her hair, inhaling her rosy almond scent.

"I missed you," he whispered.

Thaina laughed. "I missed you too, how long were you standing there for?"

Harun loosened his arms and drew back. He gently tucked a strand of chestnut hair behind her ears and cupped her cheek. 

"I had hoped to wait till you noticed me, but you were so absorbed in your thoughts, I was worried I'd be standing forever!"

Thaina placed her hand over his.

"What is on your mind Habibati?" Harun enquired.

She shook her head. "Nothing,"

"Are you sure?" he prodded, his eyes dropping from hers and he drew closer.

"There was one thing," Thaina admitted, which made him pause. His eyes returned to hers.

"I was contemplating all the reasons why you were taking your valuable time to arrive. I thought you were eager to spend time with your beloved wife," she started, slowly running her fingers over his full beard, until she reached his chin.