Chapter 16

The moment they slipped into the streaming line of commutators, Dalia forgot all about her troubles at the Palace. She felt home again as a cacophony of sellers hollered their best goods of the day, others beckoning for her to come in for a closer look, with their alluring prices. However, Dalia was not a novice to the ways of the marketplace. She had seen and dealt with enough miserly merchants to not let her ears be tempted by them. Merchants who set up stalls on the outskirts of the Souq always boosted their prices, knowing that their customers would buy from them only to save themselves the journey of delving deeper.

Dalia kept up with the pace of the crowd until finally, her feet felt the hard stone path, which marked the souq - as Meera had informed her. The said person was only a step behind her, having clung to the back of her borrowed uniform so they did not get separated.

"Keep going Ameera, the narrow path will open soon," Meera whispered, and soon enough, the crowd around them dispersed. Dalia's eyes widened in amazement as she took in the scene around her; a large square covered with stalls, and at its center, was a magnificent stone fountain.

"This is the Grand Souq," her handmaiden announced, but Dalia's feet were already moving. Even with her face veil on, her nose was intoxicated by the sweet smell of jasmine flowers, guiding her towards them. The white buds looked like a basket of pearls amongst the array of colours. She delicately picked one up and brought it closer to her nose, inhaling the comforting aroma. Her fingertips rubbed the petals, encasing her skin with the scent.

"Yes, Habibti?"

Dalia lifted her head and found the stall owner directing a tight smile at her. Despite the term of endearment, the lady's eyes were laced with hostility and suspicion.

"What can I help you with?" she continued, eyeing her attire before glancing at Meera.

"We have been instructed to find the most aromatic jasmine petals for the Palace," she started but then felt a pinch on her back.

"Ah, and why is that?" the owner asked, folding her arms over each other. "Everyone knows the royal family only likes the scent of roses,"

Dalia cringed, inwardly scolding herself for having forgotten that fact; one that had been mentioned during her lessons.

"It is for the new Ameera," she blurted, earning another pinch from Meera. Dalia made a mental note to herself that she would have a word with her handmaiden when they got back.

The owner's eyes widened, and her face twisted with distaste. She stormed over to them, forcing their steps back until they could no longer reach for the flowers.

"That woman is no Ameera of ours, I want no business with a Rughadi! Who's to say she won't attempt at our Malik's life!" she spat. "Leave!"

"What did you say?" Dalia rumbled, her clenched fists ready to strike. But Meera had taken hold of them, already dragging her away from the glare of the stallkeeper until they stood close enough to feel the spray of the water from the fountain.

"How dare she!" Dalia fumed, pulling her hand out of her handmaiden's grip.

"Ameera, please calm down, people are looking-" Meera whisper-shouted, her eyes glancing around them.

Dalia took a deep breath, muttering curses under her breath.

"We should head back to the Palace soon-"

"But I want to look around more. I haven't bought anything yet," Dalia interjected, then spun on her heels before Meera could stop her.

"Wait!" her maidservant called out, but Dalia had already slid into the crowd. Her eyes roamed the exuberant merchandise on display. There were all sorts of textile fabrics, dried and candied fruit and nuts, piles of fragrant tea, and stalls distributing steaming cups of caffeine. Perfumers hung ornate burners from their doors, swinging scented smoke that drowned out the smell of sweaty commuters.