Robert Capa // the airlock

Robert pushed the button to lock her with him inside the airlock to keep Rainbecker outside. Knowing they won't make it out alive their lips leave all the things on their minds.

_______________________________________________________

A snapping sound later and the disfigured captain of icarus 1 was locked out. Robert starred into his hate burning eyes as he smashed against the metal door. Unsuccessful he left the idea of getting inside behind. A clicking sound later and he locked them inside it. It meant she and Robert were trapped with no way of them to get out on their own. Reinbecker left them alone, going to search for the rest of the crew.

"Fuck" A sigh of frustration left Roberts lips while sinking on the ground to comprehend what happened.

"Are we going to die? " she asked hesitant, trying to capture eye contact with the blue eyed man. The face

of the reader was drawn with fear, and Robert could see the tension written on her face. He knew that he had to stay calm, be the beacon of hope for both of them.

"No, we're not going to die," he said firmly, reaching out to take her hand. "We're going to find a way out of here. Reinbecker will come back with help, and we'll make it through this."

The reader looked at him with gratitude in her eyes, and Robert knew that his words had given her some comfort even though there was no way those bitter sweet words were lies. They sat in silence for a few moments, listening to the sound of their breathing. Hours passed and so did the rest of the crew. Soon there was no one left on the Icarus II. To not lose every last bit of sanity they began talking about their past, beginning with simple stories about working on the ship or their job before this but as they knew they would run out of oxygen soon, something shifted between them. Robert, who had always kept himself at a distance from others, began to open up like never before. As he spoke of his passion for the sun and his lifelong dream to get close to one, she felt the desperation of a man who had always been driven by his obsession. She could sense the intensity in his voice and realized that this man had lived for this moment on this ship. It was beyond her knowing how much he wanted to be on this ship with her yet not in a life threating situation like this. Robert looked up to her which ended in eye contact. 

"Please don't cry Y/N" He said as he noticed tears filling up her eyes, trying not to make them drop from her soft cheeks. His hand reached over to swipe one of the shimmering tears away, resulting in a sob on her part.

She, too, began to open up, sharing stories of her childhood, her family, and her reasons for becoming an astronaut. They both shared such intimate last moments that Robert didn't know if he should cry or be thankful to spend his last breaths on her side, making last good memories. 

The more they talked, the more they realized how much they had in common. They talked for hours, forgetting their predicament, forgetting the fact that the oxygen supply was running out. Robert couldn't take it anymore. The situation, her sobs and his mixed feelings had a huge impact on him and he finally decided to break the cold distance he always kept from others.
It all came out suddenly when Robert breaks down emotionally and admits that he had always been in love with her. She was shocked at first but then, as the initial surprise wore off, she realized that she had deep feelings for him too. She had been holding back her emotions for months, but in this moment, as she faced death alongside the man she was coming to love, she knew that she had to admit her feelings she kept for herself since she met him on earth before the mission.

"I love you" Robert uttered as if he was surprised it came out of his mouth himself. She leaned forwards, pressing her lips onto his and moments followed of them sharing a loving kiss, which grew in intensity. It felt like a lightning rushing through every blood vessel of their bodies, letting them forget their near death for a short amount of time. 

They held each other close, their faces close together, sharing their love for each other as the oxygen ran out, and their world started to shrink. As they clung to each other, they shared a kiss followed by one another, passionate, otherworldly kisses that seemed to transport them both to another dimension. In those final moments, they were together, wrapped in the arms of the other, and they knew that they would die together and find each other in the afterlife.

Their love story ended like many others, but it was one that would never be forgotten. For Robert and the female crew member, it was a love that transcended the infinite prairies of space and time itself.