The Stone Table

Third POV

The Witch exited the tent, Aslan a few steps behind her.

He looked down, desperately trying to hide the fearful look he had. He mustered up enough courage to inform the Narnians of their talk.

"She has renounced her claim on the Son of Adam's blood." He said. The crowds erupted in celebration, the Pevensie children all wrapping each other in a single, family hug.

"How do I know your promise will be kept?" The Witch shouted back to the Great Lion, silencing the crowd once more.

Aslan, having no more patience with her, released a powerful, deep roar in her direction, making her sit down - the slightest bit of fear on her face. The crowd cheered at her fear and began to celebrate once again.

As she was being carried away from the camp, Lucy saw the solemn look on Aslan's face, frowning in confusion at his lack of celebration. She watched as he walked away towards the medical tent. She didn't have to wonder about that though, she knew he was checking on Mari.

-----

Aslan looked at the unconscious figure of his love. She was somehow just as beautiful to him as she was before. He wanted so badly to hold her and apologize to her for the deal he just made with the Witch.

But he promised her that he'd protect him - she trusted him to do that, so that's what he did. If that was the last thing he did...

And, it wasn't like they could ever be anything more - no matter how he thought of her - she was a human again, and him a lion. For obvious reasons, it'd be wrong. This wasn't the story she told him a few days ago about the girl who taught a beast how to love and how he ended up being a human who was cursed - no matter how much he wanted it to be.

He stepped closer to her and sighed, knowing that this was his last goodbye to her. He didn't want to leave her. He took a deep breath before going to sit next to her. He rubbed his head against hers gently, relishing the last time he would get to embrace her.

"I love you, my Flower Queen." He whispered to her before getting up and walking away from her sleeping figure.

-----

Lucy tossed and turned, unable to sleep, when she heard the sound of footsteps outside of the tent. She looked and saw the shadow of the Great Lion cast onto the walls.

"Susan!" She quickly whisper-shouted over to her sister.

"Hmm?" Susan grumbled, waking up.

Lucy didn't answer, only threw off her sheets and grabbed her healing cordial and dagger, Susan not understanding what was happening, followed suit. They exited the tent and looked around, seeing the fleeing figure of a lion behind them. They quickly started to follow him, trying to be quiet.

They ran from tree to tree trying to hide from him but he knew they were there. He let out a long, sad breath.

"Shouldn't you both be in bed?" He asked out. The girls came out, knowing they'd be caught.

"We couldn't sleep." Lucy answered.

"Please, Aslan. Couldn't we come with you?" Susan asked him.

"I would be glad of the company for a while. Thank you." He said, knowing they'd follow him anyway. Susan and Lucy gently grabbed onto his mane and walked beside him.

They walked for a little while longer before coming to a clearing, the moon shining down on them.

"It is time. From here, I must go on alone." Aslan told them.