Prologue: The Competition

At the gym... "Welcome to the first ever Canterlot High School Battle of the Bands. I believe I speak for everyone when I say it is by far the greatest thing we have ever done here at this school! We are so glad our three newest students encouraged us to turn this event into something exciting!" Principal Celestia announced. "But, as this is now a competition, we can only choose one winner. Who is it going to be?" Now, the lights in the gym are down except for two spotlights that pick out Snips and Snails, both dressed as 1980s-era rappers: sunglasses, baseball cap turned backward for Snips, do-rag tied over Snails' hair, baggy sweatshirts and pants. Celestia and Luna are seated at the table in front of the stage, and all of the Rainbooms except Rarity are gathered off to one side with Spike and Sunset.

"Aw, yeah! Snips and Snails indahouse, yo!" "They call me MC Snips and that ain't no lieMy favorite food is like pumpkin pie!" "I'm DJ Snazzy Snails, I like whales! When I go to the beach, I always bring my pails!" "Everybody knows my favorite color is orange, my rhymes are so fly, they're better than... um..." "Than an orange, yo!" "Yeah!" "Bam! That just happened!" "Aw, yeah! We out!" "Snips and Snails outta here!" They finish by standing back to back, holding their microphones out at arm's length with heads down, and dropping them onto the stage. The impact sends a shrill whine of feedback that sets the crew in the wings to wincing and covering their ears. "Please do not drop the microphones," Principal Celestia said, unamused. 

The two hopelessly inept rappers pick up the dropped items with a laugh and clear off the stage, passing the Rainbooms and company. "In your face, Rainbooms!" "Least we know one group who won't stand in the way of us gettin' to the finals," Applejack remarked. "Let's get ready to rock!" Rainbow Dash told. "Wait! Where's Rarity?" "Oh! Here! I'm here!" Rarity walks over, some metal fringes jangling from her outfit. "We will be performing in front of an audience. I'm not going to wear something fabulous? Hmph." "Remember, we have to be good enough to make it through but not so good we let the sirens see the magic within us. They could realize we plan to use it against them," Twilight explained. 

"Got it! Be cool enough to win, but not so cool that we end up showing off the whole ears and tails and rainbows thing. Sooo... about twenty percent less cool." The Rainbooms begin their song. "One! Two!" "We've just got the day to get ready, and there's only so much time to lose! Because tonight, yeah, we're here to party! So let's think of something fun to do! We don't know (we don't know) what's gonna happen! We just know (we just know) it's gonna feel right! All our friends are here and it's time to ignite the lights!" As The Rainbooms sing, they start to get sabotaged by the other contestants. "Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight! Shake your tail, shake your tail... Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight! Shake your tail, shake your tail..." 

"So what, you didn't get it right the first time." "Laugh it off, no one said it is a crime!" "Do your thing, you know you're an original..." "Your ideas are so funny that they're criminal." "Ohhh-ahh!" Twilight inhales a piece of confetti from Pinkie Pie's drums, causing her to cough. Fluttershy whacks Twilight with her tambourine. "We've just got the day to get ready, and there's only so much time to lose! Because tonight, yeah, we're here to party! So let's think of something fun to do! We don't know (we don't know) what's gonna happen! We just know (we just know) it's gonna feel right! All our friends are here and it's time to ignite the lights!" 

"Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight! Shake your tail, shake your tail... Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight! Shake your tail, shake your tail..." Rarity tries to pull free of the magnets, and Pinkie's bass drum vibrates the scattered confetti. Applejack grimaces at the chaos as Rarity finally rips herself loose. Falling on her face, losing her coat sleeves, she bursts into a flood of tears that sets her mascara running. "Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight! Shake your tail, shake your tail... Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight!" Rarity's crying comes through too clearly in the silence following the song's end, broken only by vigorous applause from a beaming Celestia and Luna. Their faces are the only ones in the place not showing some disapproval. Once they stop clapping, they jot notes on the sheets before them—the Rainbooms exit.