Chapter 8

A figure stood in a forest in his black cloak fluttering in the wind. Several red and white patterns could be seen etched onto the cloak. He flared his chakra minutely in a certain pattern.

Moments later, a black bird silently landed on his outstretched arm, claws wrapped around his arm for support, cocking it's head to the side with the same red imposing eye as the young man boring into the figure.

"I have a mission for you" the same cold, detached tone as always. It never liked it.

The crow rearranges itself on his arm so it can look at him with it's own eye and glare at him. It found out very soon it cannot fix a glare with the other eye. And even then it is futile in front of him.

But it is irritated. It does not want to leave. They may not speak or understand all intricacies, but they're still intelligent creatures. It knows what's going to happen next.

The figure showed no emotion and kept his face blank, although inwardly he chuckled slightly at the behaviour. He couldn't help but find it endearing.

"This is your last mission"

A sharp sting erupted in his arm followed by a hoarse "Kraaaaw" from the crow. It's glared intensified.

He could hear clear indignation and protest, combined with scarce traces of warning in it.

He scrunched his eyebrows at the reaction as he felt blood ooze of his hand slowly where it dig it's claws.

He knows that it knows he cannot afford to lose or use any more chakra. He will need every last bit of it. And performing healing consumes a bit more chakra than other ninjutsu.

So why...?

He Mangekyo'd his eyes and squinted to see less blurrily.

Ah!

Now that the blur of fog has become tiniest bit apparant, he can make out certain cues. It got a wry smile from him.

The downside of thinking logically and having total control over your emotions (or being totally detached from them in his case) is that it takes a while to realise when it comes to this matters.

He brought his other arm to gently caress it's head and neck with his knuckles, and lastly bringing it beneath it's beak, where he knows it likes the most.

"It's been 16 years hasn't it?" It doesn't like the tone. It hates that. It doesn't want to part ways just yet.

"Kraww" it bobbed it's head the other way. Perhaps seeing that eye will bring him to his senses it hopes.

A ghost of a smile passed through his lips.

But it was wiped off a moment later as he sensed the person of interest in the outer edges of his sensing abilities.

It was dejected to see that blank look settle on his face again, but relented in the end, knowing the moment was over. And it knew what he was asking of him was seemingly of more value to him than his own life.

"I am programming Shisui's eye." He tone was controlled, clipped. The bird acquiesced easily, presenting the eye and it turns into its advanced form.

He made a few hand signs and placed his hand on its head and let his chakra mingle with Shisui's. After a while he was finished.

I have instigated and inspired Sasuke in a way that I thought would give him a drive and an aim to conquer. But simultaneously, I overlooked numerous vital aspects, which changed the circumstances which led to this fateful day.

He loathes himself for his actions. He not only went against everything Shisui asked of him, went against his clan, killed them all in cold blood, but also broke his father's last wish, decieved his brother, sowed the seed of hatred deep inside Sasuke that has grown so potent that it drew him to Orochimaru.