Do you promise? - Ally Mayfair-Richards

TW: Talk of depression

Story Prompt: Your teacher Ms. Richards, grows concern for you as she sees you struggling in class. You open up to her and she comforts you.

Ally

My last class of the day started as the bell rang. Thank god i'm exhausted. I could really use a glass of wine and trash TV.

"Good afternoon class!" I projected and walked to the front of the classroom. The class was distracted. Kids were talking, scrolling on their phones, napping, anything and everything else but paying attention. I mean I don't blame them, it's a Thursday afternoon, I would do the same if my salary didn't depend on it.

"okayy, let me try again," I cleared my throat, "GOOD MORNING CLASS." Everyone's attention diverted to me.

"That's more like it. I know all of you guys are tired, and it's the end of the day, but you're almost done, just hang in there! Today is a relatively easy day, you guys are going to be working on your own time. So over the course of the last few weeks, we've been reading 'Fahrenheit 451'. Today we are going to be writing essays on the society of the novel. How is it different from our society today? What was the significance of their laws? If you guys open your laptops, you can find I posted the writing prompt and the grading scale. Other than that, you guys are free to start writing. Feel free to listen to music, just keep the chatter down to a minimum. I'll be at my desk and walking around the classroom if you have any questions. Alright off you go!"

I walked over to my desk, opened my laptop and started to answer some work emails.

About 20 minutes later, I got up from my desk and walked around the room observing the class. As I neared the back of the class though, I noticed Y/N with her head down on her desk and her paper blank. I just sighed. I knew something was off. She was typically a good student. Always engaged, made an effort to turn her assignments in, and she was just genuinely interested in class. Recently though, she's been tired, always zoned out, and I rarely see her doing her work.

I wanted to confront Y/N, I couldn't ignore this behavior, but I didn't want to scare her. She seemed delicate, fragile even.

I decided I am just going to let her sleep the rest of class and I will talk to her after the bell rings.

"Okay class! this is your 25 minute warning before class lets out! Use your time diligently! AKA Reese and Thomas stop chatting and do your work!"

The class laughed, including me, as I sat back down at my desk continuing my work.

Y/N

"Y/N, Sweetheart, it's time to wake up. The bell rang."

I stirred from my nap whining. I sat up and covered my hands over my face trying to wake myself up.
"Hey sleepyhead.. the bell rang, it's time for you to go home." Ms. Richards spoke softly.

I opened my eyes to find her standing in-front of my desk smiling softly. She always carried herself with such grace, I admired her in everything she did.
I soon came to a realization I didn't finish my essay though. I began to panic.

"Oh gosh, I'm so so sorry Ms. Richards. I didn't finish my essay.. I-I" I was trying to formulate a way I could complete my work.

"Hey! Hey, forget about the essay, okay? There is all the time in the world for essays." She came over to the side of my desk and crouched on the ground, now eye level to me. "I just want to make sure Y/N is okay." she softly poked the side of my arm and looked at me with sorrowful eyes.

"What? I.. I-uh" I just shrugged my shoulders. I never open up to anyone. Especially about my mental health or my feelings.

She sighed, "I know a lot of students say I am 'scary' or 'a monster', however you wanna put it, but I promise I am none of those things. And I want you to know that i'm here for you. You can come to me about anything, okay Honey?"

"Thank you.. that means so much. I've just been feeling.." I scratched the side of my face trying to pin down my emotions, "I guess i've just been feeling off? maybe numb. I don't even know if that even makes any sense."

I awkwardly laughed and diverted my attention to her face. I could tell wheels were turning in her head.

"It makes perfect sense, Y/N. Feeling numb can be tricky. I mean maybe I am just speaking from personal experience, but numbness can sometimes stem from exhaustion, waves of sadness or depression. It's overwhelming and our bodies sometimes choose to shut down, to ignore that feeling. And again, I don't want to speak for you but maybe that rings a bell?"

She was right. Everything she said. I just nodded looking away, ashamed. I hated showing people my vulnerable side. I felt weak, out of control.

"Oh, Y/N." I heard her say with such sadness.

I started crying and just broke down in my desk, "I am so tired, Ms. Richards. Everything is just becoming too much. I'm tired of feeling like this, this sadness.. it just grows more and more each day."

"Come here, Sweetheart." I looked over at Ms. Richards and her arms were wide open. I got out of my seat and fell into her arms, holding onto her tightly.

"I know how you're feeling, and I promise it won't stay this way forever. And I want you to take good care of yourself, sweet girl. Sometimes people make permanent solutions to temporary problems, if that makes sense. I don't want anything to happen to you. And you can always talk to me, always. If you can't complete an assignment, you let me know, or if you need to step in the hallway for a few minutes, or you need to lay down, just anything you can talk to me okay? You are not alone Honey."

I tried to calm down copying her breathing patterns as she rubbed my back and her chin propped up on the top of my head, "Thank you for being open with me and trusting me with your feelings, Y/N. I know how challenging that can be, especially with your old boring teacher, but i'm proud of you."

I giggled and pulled back from the hug making eye contact with her, "Ms. Richards, you aren't boring or OLD! Don't say that!"

She laughed, "There's that smile I love so much." She wiped off the tears on my face and pushed my hair behind my ear, "Are you gonna be okay when you get home?"

I nodded my head, "Do you promise?"

"I promise, Ms. Richards." She pulled me into a short hug and sighed in relief.

"Thank you Ms. Richards, for everything." She smiled and got up walking back over to her desk, "Don't thank me Y/N, you know i'm more than happy to help!"

I was packing my book bag and spoke out, "I'll work on my essay tonight, I am so sorry again for not getting it done."

"Y/N." She gave me that annoyed mom look, "No. What you're going to do is go home, get some food in that stomach, and take some time for yourself. If you come into school tomorrow with that stupid essay, I am going to rip it up! No questions asked. I'm serious, don't worry about it. go home, enjoy yourself!"

I rolled my eyes and laughed, "Fineeeee. Goodbye, Ms. Richards!" I started out the classroom.

"Goodbyeeeee Sweetheart." I heard her mimic me as I walked out the door.