HIS MEERAB ( PART 1)

Kaagaz ke do pankh leke uda chala jaaye re

Jahan nahi jaana tha ye wahin chala haye re

Umar ka yeh taana-baana samajh na paaye re

Zubaan pe jo moh-maaya, namak lagaye re

Ke dekhe na, bhaale na, jaane na daaye re
Disha haara kemon boka monta re!

***************

If one should ask him for the exact moment he had fallen in love with Meerab, he wouldn't be able to tell.

Because there was no exact moment.

Falling in love with Meerab was like a journey. A journey that has not found its destination and probably never will.

Like an aimless wanderer, he will walk alone on this journey full of solitary heartbreak.

It's okay though. He was used to the cold hard loneliness that came with being the head of his family, the lord of their ancestral lands, and the protector of its people. 

He was, after all, Khan Murtasim Khan.

If one should ask him why he fell in love with Meerab, then he would say the answer was in the question.

Because she was Meerab. His Meerab.

In their early childhood days, she was the snot-nosed neighborhood brat who suffered from a severe case of "Daddy's Little Princess" disease.

Spoiled rotten by not one but two fathers, she was convinced the world revolved around her. The little menace would demand, no, order people to follow her around and if someone dared to ignore her wishes, she would silently glare at them like some sort of cartoon villain.

Murtasim as a child was one of the most frequent victims of Meerab's infamous glares. The little girl would scrunch her whole face in rage and stare at him like some kind of stalker from behind pillars.

Murtasim would admit now that he purposely riled her up just to see those funny faces. It was one of the highlights of his otherwise bland childhood spent mostly learning the family business.

Sometimes his teasing of her would go a little overboard like the time a twelve-year-old Murtasim had convinced her that she was cursed as a baby and would turn into a frog as soon as she turns seven.......right before her seventh birthday.

She had spent the whole time panicking while evil little him spent savoring every minute of it.

Well, she did figure out he was pranking her when she, you know, didn't turn into a frog as the clock hit twelve and he had burst out into fits of giggles.

And ladies and gentlemen, that was the day when Princess Meerab had declared him to be her sworn nemesis in front of everyone with all the flares and dramatics of a Disney antagonist.

It did not help her mood at all when he couldn't hold back his laughter after that grand announcement and spit his Coca-Cola right onto her sparkly pink dress.

Meerab had run out of the party hall in tears like some sort of movie heroin with both Waqas uncle and his Anwar uncle hot on their heels behind her.

Her over-dramatic reaction had made him laugh even more until well, his father had figured out what happened and had punished him.

That was Meerab. His Meerab.

Everything about her was just so much. When she is happy, her entire person lights up and when she is sad, her big doe eyes turn so helpless that it makes his heart ache.