MIRAGE

Agar mile khuda to..
Poochhunga khudaya
Jism mujhe de ke mitti ka
Sheeshe sa dil kyun banaya
Aur uspe diya fitrat
Ke woh karta hai mohabbat
Wah re wah teri kudrat
Uspe de diua kismat
Kabhi hai milan, kabhi furkat
Hai yehi kya woh muhabbat
Wah re wah teri kudrat

************

"Get out," he said to Meerab which came out harsher than he had intended it to be.

It always happened whenever he was with Meerab. He lost all control over himself and his emotions ran wild.

There was nothing Murtasim hated more than loosing control.

The long ride from Karachi to Hyderabad was filled with Murtasim stealing glimpses of Meerab, promising himself everytime that it would be the last.

As he stole another glance of the grumpy looking Meerab who was not showing any sign of following his order, Murtasim asked himself for the hundredth time if what he felt for Meerab was actually love.

Or at one point of this never ending one- sided journey, the sweetest love of his childhood had morphed into some twisted addiction?

If he attempts to leave it behind, will it let him?

He sighed as his thoughts wondered into a rather morbid direction. He really did not want to think about his life after Meerab gets married.

Meerab still hadn't moved and made sure her displeasure was delivered to him with a fierce glare.

"Meerab, get out of the car," he tried again, this time with more patience because clearly he was dealing with a child over here.

"No," came Meerab's answer through gritted teeth.

Just then his uncle's name flashed across his phone indicating that they were already late enough. All the guests have probably arrived.

Great! Just great! Now they'll talk about how he wasn't there to greet the important ones himself.

He could feel the headache building itself again with a force. Murtasim mentally calculated how many guests he will have to have a quick chat with and how many weren't important enough for him to bother.

He was already so tired. How will he pass the rest of the evening?

Thinking of all the snobbish people he will to tolerate today, his temper began to flare and as usual Meerab became the unknowing victim of it.

"Meerab, get out of the car or I will carry you out myself!"

His voice sounded angry even to himself. No wonder Meerab gave him that startled deer look where her eyes manage to flash both hurt and disbelief at once.

His head hurts even more now. Why does he keep hurting the girl he loves?

No wonder she hates him!

With a dramatic huff, Meerab got out of the car and slammed the door behind her to emphasis on how very mad she was.

And if all that theatrics were not enough, she also made sure to stomp her high heeled foot with all the force her tiny self could muster.

Which went as well as one would expect. The sudden surge of pain was clearly visible in her eyes.

See, whenever he feels like his anger makes him do foolish things, Meerab makes sure to remind him he could never complete with her.

Isn't she just lovely?

And as he watched Merrab struggling to walk and trying to look nonchalant in front of him, Murtasim felt all of his tiredness vanish into thin air and replace it with the same light flutter from his childhood.

No, It was definitely love.

Because what else but love could be so magical?

*************************************

So all of his hardwork was for Meerab to just go along with whatever his uncle was saying with a confused face?

She could atleast show some sort of happiness...

See that was why he was planning to avoid Meerab!

One car ride with her and he was starting to expect things from her.

Things that weren't fair to her. She was probably enjoying with her friends and now has to put on a show to make his uncle and her parents happy.

Murtasim doesn't even come into the equation.

He watches as she lets his uncle bring her to the cake which she, again, doesn't react to at all.

As Murtasim stands in the corner and watches her cut the cake with his and her families by her side, he thinks back to her seventh birthday.

She followed him the whole day, scared that she would really turn into a frog. Meerab had held onto his arms everytime a loud noise was heard. And he remembered how he had assured her that even if she did turn into a frog he would find a Prince for her to kiss.

But mostly he remembered how she had asked him if he counted as a Prince.

Appearently in her childish mind, Murtasim was handsome, rich, smelled nice and would one day inherit his father's throne. And to Meerab, that meant he was her Prince.

A twelve-year-old Murtasim had laughed but a twenty-seven year old Murtasim knows he isn't her Prince.

If he was then why was he here in the corner and Meerab was there, in the spotlight, not even bothering to look at him?

**************************************

"I have chosen Meerab for my son, Murtasim."

His mother's words rang in Murtasim's ears like some sort of siren's call.

It took him a while to realise what exactly his mother was insinuating, no, declaring to the world.

The man that their family has chosen for Meerab was him!

Murtasim.

But how does that make any sense?

Meerab's future husband has to be gentle, caring, understanding and above all, has to love Meerab.

And other than loving Meerab, was he any of them?

And what of Meerab?

He was scared to look at her.

Khan Murtasim Khan was scared.

He was terrified of the stinging rejected and hatred he will find in Meerab's eyes for him.

But he still looked because he had to know what Meerab was feeling.

His foolish heart still dared to hope.

Maybe she would say yes. Maybe she knew. Maybe Waqas Uncle had talked to her beforehand. Maybe she would respect her parent's wishes.

Maybe she will chose him. Maybe, just maybe, she will not mind having him to her.

But as expected, it shattered again.

Because all Meerab's eyes held for him was abhorrence.

Murtasim was like a thirsty wanderer in the merciless desert. He began to hope for life because he thought he could finally see water.

But Alas, it was all a mirage.

**************************************

Sorry I was late to update. My professor thought it would be hilarious to spring some surprises presentations at us with only two days notice 😑

So here I am. Not properly edited BTW. How do you like it???

Pls leave a comment!