SCARS

Jeene ke liye sochaa hi nahi
Dard sambhalane honge
Muskuraaye to muskuraane ke
Karz utarne honge

Tujhse naaraaz nahin zindagi
Hairaan hoon main
O hairaan huun main
Tere masum sawaalon se
Pareshaan hoon main

*************

For as long as Murtasim could remember, he was jealous of Meerab for having the most wonderful parents.

Murtasim knew his parents loved him. They had, after all, cherished him the most.

But they never bothered to understand him.

Never bothered to let him choose.

Never bothered with his wants.

But Meerab's did.

They cared for her wants, her opinions, her choices.

They loved her unconditionally.

They had loved his Meerab more than him.

He was sure of it.

But as he watched their car drive away, cruelly ignoring their sobbing little girl begging for her parents, Murtasim wasn't so sure of himself.

He couldn't understand anything anymore.

He couldn't understand how his uncle who had loved him as his own could ever abandon the child that was actually his.

He couldn't decipher how his father, whom he respected more than anyone could just decide to give his little neice away.

He couldn't figure out how his mother who had taken in the orphaned Haya could just let Meerab be given away.

Above all, he couldn't believe how Meerab's foster parents can just wash their hands off of her as if she was nothing more than a responsibility.

As he approached the sobbing mess that was his love sitting on the ground, Murtasim thought about how easily people you trust can break it so horribly.

Carefully Murtasim gave Meerab his hand to hold on to, hoping atleast in her heartbreak, she would accept him.

He felt guilty for the way his heart fluttered when her small hands touched his rough ones.

He realised her hands were extremely soft and smooth under his harsh ones hardened under constant use of guns.

That was Meerab. Pure and loved. Untouched and unblemished by the world.

But now they had scarred her.

And her heart was bleeding.

Murtasim couldn't understand.

If she were to be discarded when the time comes, then why did they give her 
so many reasons to love them?

         ***********************

Murtasim was shocked when Meerab came to him for help. But he guessed people in this house were no longer trustworthy to her.

Only he was left for her to trust in this house full of her own kin.

How tragic was that.

As much as he wanted to be happy that Meerab was trusting him, all he felt was sadness.

Sadness that reflected in her barely dry eyes as they begged him to take her to her home.

So Murtasim obliged.

And oh what a grave mistake that was!

Because the people Meerab had trusted all her life had refused her refuge in her own home.

Their beautiful treasured child wailed her heart out like a begger at the doorsteps of her own childhood home.

But no one opened the door.

With each passing moment the door remained closed, Murtasim saw the old, smiling Meerab stray further and further away.

As her hands exhausted themselves banging on that nightmarish door, Murtasim saw the sweet, trusting Meerab die little by little.

The girl who wasn't allowed to even suffer the smallest paper cut her whole life was now scarred for life.

How easily these people asked her leave as if they don't live in a world that couldn't be more cruel to a young, inexperienced girl like Meerab.

The world out there was vicious and blood thirsty.

It will strip her off of her innocence and spirit in no time.

So Murtasim put himself forward.

Because every girl deserved a safe place. No girl should be discarded like a piece of paper.

Above all, no child deserved to be handed over like a some toy.

No one deserved what happened to Meerab.

If these cowards who call themselves her parents will refuse her shelter, then he will become one for her.

He can give her the safe place she needs to heal those scars.

He can do it without any expectations.

The last thing Meerab needed right now was expectations.

He can do better than that.

Or atleast that's what Murtasim told himself.

        **********************

So how do you like this chapter??

Tell me in the comments.

BTW, Has anyone seen the movie "Masoom" starring Naseeruddin Sha and Shabana Azmi? Meerab reminds me of that movie. Both Meerab and the boy were innocent, trusting children who suffered for the mistakes of their parents. What do you think?