FIFTY -FIFTY

Tu itrr itrr sa mere
saanson mein bikhar ja
Main fakeer tere qurbat ka
tujhse tu maangun re

( Like a vibrant fragrance
Scatter through my breath,
I am a mere beggar of your presence,
I dare to beg you from you. )

**************************************

Murtasim didn't understand what was happening well until Meerab stormed out of the vanue in anger.

His mother had done the very thing he wished for more than anything in the world but would never do!

His mother had chosen Meerab for himself. Against her will. Without informing her.

As if she was an inanimate thing from the market place.

But why had his mother done something so outrageous all of a sudden?

Murtasim was sure he never gave any indication of his love to his mother.

Good God, was he not as subtle as he thought himself to be?

Was his longing for Meerab so visible on his face that his mother could simply read them? Was she, in her misplaced motherly affection, trying to give Meerab to him like some kind of expensive toy?

As thousand of thoughts clouded Murtasim's already jumbled mind, his fury, frustration and shame took him storming towards his room.

How dare his mother put him in such a position?

How dare she twist his words?

How dare they all disrespect his decisions?

Murtasim felt his heart beat louder and louder as his mother's words echoed around him. Every word from her ruthless declaration had come to taunt him.

As he closed his eyes, he could feel Meerab's hurt eyes chasing his consciousness like the most blood thirsty hound.

He took off his suite jacket to help him breathe. But the suffocating feeling won't leave him like his stubborn love.

Even with open eyes, Murtasim could feel Meerab's eyes on him. He could feel everyone's eyes on him.

The guests from the party, his mother, his uncle, his sister - everyone was looking at him.

Their taunting eyes held a challenge. They thought he would accept the decision if they announced it publicly.

They thought he would break if they bet on his most precious treasure- his honour.

To Murtasim, his family's respect, his father's honour, the Khan name were everything.

Their plan was sound, he would give it to them. In any other case, he would've given up.

But not this time.

Not when it will cost him what he holds dear.

What he considers so precious that he wouldn't even dare to claim its ownership.

Meerab's freedom, Meerab's wishes, Meerab's dreams.

Deep down, Murtasim knew Meerab would never break under pressure.

She would never agree. She would rather die.

And unless and until, Meerab says yes, this marriage won't happen.

Murtasim won't have to do anything beyond saying No to his mother.

This somehow both relives and breaks him a little.

Sometimes Murtasim thinks all the love that could've gone to Meerab's heart for him was given to him too by mistake.

Instead of being divided fifty fifty between them, it was only his to bear.

That was why he was never able to contain his love while Meerab's indifference never seemed to dull.

*************************************

Sorry for the late and short update. Please understand that I have exams.I will start updating once I'm done with them.

People are constantly commenting for updates. Some even privately messaged me ( quite rudely demanded actually) which I found to be quite weird. Creativity takes time and effort. Pleased try to understand. Writing on Wattpad is a hobby of mine, not a job. I will try to update regularly but I can't ignore my commitments in life.

Anyways, I hope people enjoy this update and give me loads of feedback. Thank you.