HIS MEERAB (PART 2)

Agar Ishq Se Hai Mila
Fir Dard Se Kya Gila
Iss Dard Mein Zindagi
Khush Haal Hai

*

*****************

It was one summer eve two years ago that Murtasim had realized he couldn't have Meerab no matter how desperately he had wanted her.

It was the summer after Meerab's nineteenth birthday and her whole family had come to the haweli for Eid Holidays.

Freshly into college, Meerab still induced that irrational warmth inside Murtasim's otherwise logical heart. With age, she grew even more pretty everyday. And before he knew it, Meerab had become the most beautiful girl in their whole Khandan.

She was the centre of attention in every party, every function. And like bees drawn to the most fragrant flower, his Meerab was surrounded by admirers.

But she was naive too. Innocent at heart, she never noticed the love sick looks around her....just like she never noticed what was in his heart.

Their childish banters had turned into spiteful fights as Meerab grew into an opinionated and free-spirited woman and Murtasim settled into his role as the Fuadal lord whose duty was to uphold age-old traditions.

But alas, the lord in him failed to rein in his heart that skips a beat every time Meerab fearlessly looked into his eyes. Instead of punishing her for her impudence, he was left speechless in front of her, mesmerized by the fire in her eyes.

Her undying spirit was like burning fire and he was probably the foolish moth flying toward it.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

As his heart stopped listening to him more and more that summer, Murtasim had gotten the much-needed reality check.

In his perfect world of imagination, Meerab, lovely Meerab, would have fallen in love with him and become his willingly.

But he did not want that Meerab.

He wanted the one in real life. The one who wants to study law like the father she idolized. The one who fought him at every turn, the one who despised him.

But that Meerab didn't want him.

That Meerab wanted to study Law, wanted to fulfill her dreams. And being Khan Murtasim Khan's wife will not allow her that.

That summer day when she was getting yelled at by Anwar Uncle for daring to dream bigger than her station and her eyes looked helplessly at others present in the room for support was the day he finally realized the harsh truth.

Murtasim couldn't break the chains of responsibility and position around his feet and making Meerab his would, in turn, mean chaining her to him.

And Murtasim's Meerab deserved better than that.

Meerab was a free bird wanting to fly and Murtasim's position was the weight that pulls down everyone with it.

He was the King yet he couldn't go against the very thing that gave him his kingdom in the first place.

If Murtasim wanted then Meerab would be his queen but a Queen trapped in the most luxurious of palaces was still a prisoner, wasn't she?

*************************************

Meerab was getting more daring with age. He still cannot believe she was fighting on the streets with a stick like some kind of hooligan!

Who did she think she was? Batman?