- 8 -

The skies had finally cleared and a small spark of sun even came through the thick woods. Daria relished in it for just a minute, soaking in the warmth that it gave, before continuing on her way.

She had missed being alone. Actually alone.

The last few weeks had been spend with either one or more Cullens by her side, or Penny hovering over her. Penny had finally given up and let her be by herself.

Daria didn't know, but not letting Daria be followed gave Penny some sense of failure, even if it was what Daria wanted. The young woman was after all now her boss, even if that felt strange to both of them.

She didn't even tell Penny where she was going because if she had, she would not be allowed to go alone, even though she was fairly experienced in rock climbing.

Daria's parents had always made sure that their children tried everything. There weren't much activities that someone could ask her to do that she didn't have the slightest clue on. Besides trying everything more than once, their parents also wanted them to know exactly what they were doing. It involved many instructions books and teachers, but in the end it payed off as both Samuel and Daria could fend for themselves very well in atypical situations.

One of them being in front of her.

Daria hadn't climbed this mountain much. Three times to be precise. And none of them were alone. The first time had been with her parents and Samuel, right before he left to go on his big trip. It had been his idea. Their parents hadn't thought it a good idea, what if he fell and couldn't go to Europe? But he didn't, nor did any of them and it made for a marvelous bonding experience where they had to rely on one another to get higher.

The climbing gear had been put on and Daria takes a deep breath before looking to the sky once with a shaky smile and placing her hands on the mountains. It had changed a bit since the last time but she remembered it good enough.

The second time she had made the climb, was with her parents in a way to honor her brother in graduating. They even made a video to send to him. He sent one to them of himself climbing with what appeared to be a group, but he was only really conversing with one girl. Happily conversing even.

A small scream echoes through the forest. Daria wasn't even halfway through when she felt herself slip. Barely holding on with one hand, but determination in her mind. She had grown stronger the last few weeks, solely for the purpose of doing this climb once more. To honor her parents. She yells as she pulls herself up and takes a deep breath as she steadies herself.

There had been the slightest fear of falling. And a fall like this would result in broken bones, maybe death if she fell the wrong way. But surely a very angry Penny, and no one wanted an angry Penny.

The last time turned into another video. Another congratulations. Samuel had gotten engaged. To the certain girl he had climbed and conversed with. He had asked her on top of a mountain that they had climbed together, what better way to say congratulations than to climb their mountain.

"You okay, Daar?"

Daria looks to the left and feels tears threatening to spill.

"No mom." Her voice unsteady as she places her right foot a little higher.

"A little higher honey!"

The tears weren't threatening anymore, they were rolling down her cheeks while she tries to find a steady part for her hand.

"You're not here!" Daria shouts angrily before closing her eyes. "You're not her. They're not here. They're not here." She tries to calm herself and looks up.

"Dad?" Her voice confused as she could've sworn she saw him. Just like he had been the last time they climbed this mountain side. His hair tousled by the wind, his paints dirty, his vest torn due to the sharp edges of the stone. A big smile on his face as he reaches down to pull her up.

But he wasn't there.

"You're not here." Her voice barely even noticeable as it takes all her energy to get the words out. As if the ghosts of her family would disappear if she would say the words.

It takes a while before she finds herself able to climb further, her emotions having gotten the best of her. Now her thoughts were empty and her limbs steady. Something that was necessary to be able to climb this high.

"Fuck." Daria curses as she looks at her hand. A particularly sharp edge had cut through the fingerless gloves and into the palm of her hand. She places her foot a little higher and steadies herself as she tries to look at it. It would definitely scar. It would also make her less strong.

Daria moves a little higher and feels the sting in her hand, making her hiss at the feeling. She looks up and takes in just how much she had left. Maybe now was the time to pull back. To leave it all behind.

"Almost there." Daria's eyes widen as she looks to the side, the motion causing her right foot to slip and her head to hit the sharp edge she had cut her hand on.

It all happens to fast for her blurred brain to comprehend but she knew one thing, she was falling.