- 11 -

Though the fire had stopped in her body, the brightness of the room made her eyes want to water. They didn't but there was a burn in there somewhere.

"Hey." Daria's head turns to look at Rosalie. Her voice was soft and kind, but something wasn't right. As if she was hiding something. "How are you feeling?"

Daria didn't know what to say. Everything was different. She felt different.

The lights were too bright and made sure that she saw the small particles floating in the air. The noise was all over the place, from the different people breathing and one of them gasping for breath and holding it in, to the TV, to the birds outside chirping. She felt stiff but also as if she couldn't wait to take a lap around the house. She was hungry but also had no desire to ask Penelope to make her favorite dish. She was tired but also had the feeling that she could party forever.

"I don't know." Daria whispers and she frowns at her own voice. She never declared that she liked her voice but now she disliked it even more, there was something to it that was.. different.

Rosalie slowly stands up walks towards her, watching Daria's every move. The latter was only focused on what Rosalie was doing. Why she was doing everything so careful.

"How bad is it?" Daria asks and Rosalie frowns?

"What do you mean?"

"What is left of my body?"

Daria hadn't dared to look down, to turn, to sit up. She was too afraid that she wouldn't be able to even lift her hand. That her whole body would be burned, like she had felt for the last seemingly decade.

"Your body is fine." Rosalie says quickly and Daria glances down in an immediate response. At first glance, Rosalie was right. Nothing seemed to be out of sorts. No cast, no wires attached to her. Different clothes though. "Something else has happened over the past few days."

"Days?" Daria breathes as she slowly tries to sit upright, still scared that she wouldn't be able to. "It definitely felt like years." Rosalie chuckles and nods.

"I know the feeling." Daria snorts and looks at her.

"You've fallen down from mountain climbing too?" Rosalie purses her lips and shakes her head slowly.

"Not that per say." She looks towards the door and Daria can't help but look towards it too. Footsteps were heard and if she remembered correctly, they were Carlisle's. She was right.

"Hello Daria." He says as he enters the room, a smile on his face before he closes the door. It didn't go unnoticed by her that he locked the room, but she decides not to say anything about it. "You must be feeling all kinds of things." Daria narrows her eyes.

"And how would you know?" She asks angrily.

"Because you just awoken from a long slumber." He replies and she narrows her eyes at her own attitude. Why was she so mean to him.

"Didn't really feel like a slumber." She mutters softly, as if that was her defense for her rudeness.

"I know." He sighs. He glances at one of the chairs but he decides to stand and Daria narrows her eyes at him. "There are some things that we must explain to you." He smiles at her again and Daria nods slowly. "But I need you to keep an open mind and try to contain your negative feelings."

There were many things that Daria had expected after that.

That her spine had been broken and she had a surgery where plates were installed, her head had been smashed and she would have to relearn how to write, upper body was fine but she was now wheelchair bound, Penelope had found out anyway and would never leave her out of sight anymore, someone that she cared about was dying.. there was a plethora of different things that ran through Daria's head when he had said those things. And that would explain the negative feelings that she was supposed to feel. Anger, sadness, depression, fear.

She didn't know that she would feel betrayal and hatred at his next words. At his explanation. At his way of saying there was no way out.

He told her that the burning was her own body's defense of keeping out the venom. The venom that he had given her to safe her from death. The venom that he had given her through a bite. A bite that was so powerful that it could kill a person.

She hadn't expected to feel enraged by his words. That she would throw the chairs through the window. To kick the machines in the room and watch them shatter against the wall, where a dent was left.

The venom had changed her body. Made it better. Stronger. Able to run without getting tired, a body that did not need to breathe, a body that didn't need food to sustain but something entirely different. A body so beautiful that it would attract persons to her. A body that could use the strength, the stamina, the fastness to bite that person.

You know, that certain bite that could kill a person. A human. Because that man was no human. He was a vampire. So was the rest of his family.

And now so was she.

The anger, fear, betrayal had left her body. Her soul. She only felt bitterness as she looked around the remnants of the room, at the two before her, and as she thought of the others in the house.

"You should've left me to die."