you come out to your parents and they don't accept you (requested)

Sitting around the dinner table with Dove by your side, you scraped your fork against your plate as you listened to the conversation your parents were having.

But you weren't paying any mind to it.

Their words simply went in one ear and out the other as your thoughts distracted you.

However, when you heard your name being called by your father, you quickly lifted your head to look and listen to him.

"Yeah?"

"I asked you to tell us more about your friend."

Your friend.

Dove.

Well, she wasn't exactly your friend, per se.

She's your girlfriend.

But you haven't told your parents that yet because you haven't come out to them, though you plan on changing that tonight as your relationship with Dove is becoming serious.

"Oh, uh, right. About that."

"What is it, honey?" Your mom asked.

Sensing how nervous you were, Dove slipped her hand under the table and rested it on your thigh to try and comfort you as your anxiety grew.

"Dove isn't my friend." You said and watched your parents frown. "She's my girlfriend."

You turned your head to look at Dove lovingly after the words left your lips and you watched her grin.

"What are you talking about?" Your dad asked. "Your girlfriend?"

"I know this is sudden and a surprise to you both but... I'm gay. I like girls. I love Dove and I hope that you'll support our relationship." You said with a look of hope in your eyes.

You watched your mom drop her fork on her plate before scoffing and shaking her head.

"Support you? You expect us to support you?" Your mom asked with a tone of disbelief.

"You're not gay, Y/N." Your dad said.

But you're an adult, old enough to know yourself better than anyone else does.

"I am." You spoke.

Dove slipped her hand off your thigh and wrapped it in yours comfortingly.

"Well, we don't support that." Your mom spoke. "So, if that;'s what you think you are, then you can get out of this house right now."

Her words were shocking.

It's not the reaction you were expecting at all.

You thought that your parents would be loving and understanding and pull you into a warm embrace after coming out to them.

But instead, it seemed like they were happy to just disown you rather than try and accept you.

"Don't talk to her that way! Look, if I could just say one thing-" Dove began to say, only for your father to snap at her.

"You shut up!" He yelled as he slammed his fists on the table. "Both of you get out of this house right now!"

"But-"

"But nothing. If you're... that," Your mom paused and swallowed thickly as if she was torn up about you revealing your own truth. "Then we can't support you. We refuse to accept that."

"This is not how we raised you." Your dad said as you and Dove stood up.

"It is though, dad. Because I've always felt this way. I just never said so until now." You said as you fought back tears. "And you've always raised me, haven't you?"

He shook his head as he turned away from you.

Your mom wouldn't even look at you.

She was so disappointed and so ashamed that she refused to even take a glance in your direction.

"Come on, baby." Dove softly spoke as she kept her hand on the small of your back and led you out to the car.

You got inside and slammed the door.

"Are you okay?" Dove asked as she placed her hand on your thigh from the driver's seat.

"No." You sniffled. "My parents don't want anything to do with me now."

"That's their loss, baby." She spoke as she squeezed your thigh.

You looked up at her and she wiped your eyes.

"They'll come around."

"And if they don't?"

"Then they're the ones that miss out. If they can't love and accept you for who you are, then that's their problem. Because there are so many things to love about you and we've got a bright future together. They're the ones that'll miss out by being so hateful and unaccepting."

You cracked a small smile before leaning over to give her a quick peck.

"You deserve better than that." She spoke. "And you've always got me. Never forget that."

She said as she squeezed your thigh once more.

You knew that she was right; if your parents couldn't accept and love you for who you are, then that was their loss.

Not yours.

Because love is love, no matter what.