she's sick (requested)

You scrunched up your nose upon hearing Dove entering another coughing fit. You could tell it was painful, every hack seeming to cause a painful discomfort in her chest. She grasped the blankets in her hands when she stopped and tried to catch her breath before falling back onto the bed.

You laid your hand on her forehead. Her eyes fluttered closed and she tried to let out a hum from the coolness of your hand on her feverish skin, but it was interrupted by another cough. "Your fever is still high, darling." You mumbled as you smoothed some hair away from her face.

If there was any relief to the worry and sadness you felt in that moment, it was when you looked back at the clock on the wall to find that a few hours have gone by and you can finally give her some more medicine.

Upon opening her heavy eyes, she saw you pouring the cough medicine into the lid making her shake her head and groan. She would've moved away if she had the energy and if every muscle in her body didn't ache.

"C'mon, Dove. Time to take more medicine." She shook her head, lips pulled into a straight line as she kept them closed and refused to open them. "Dove, please. I hate seeing you so miserable. This is gonna help you feel better!"

You moved it closer to her lips, trying hard to get her to open them. "You know it made you feel a little better earlier. Even if it was only for a little bit. C'mon, my love. Please?"

She stared at you for a moment before parting her lips and allowing for you to pour the liquid into her mouth. She squeezed her eyes shut and wrinkled her nose in disgust making you giggle. You could see the beads of sweat lingering on her forehead as she tilted her head back against the pillow.

You kissed her cheek softly then went to stand up. You planned to go make her some soup. You know her throat is feeling sore. She described it as a feeling of 'swallowing glass' each time she tried to swallow down water or Gatorade.

But before you could even get up, she was clutching your wrist. Her grip was weak considering she didn't really have much energy.

"No, don't go." She pleaded.

"I was gonna make you some more soup. I know the broth feels good against your throat." You explained with a sad smile. She looked exhausted.

She quickly reached for a tissue and sneezed a couple of times, the adorable sound pulling at your lips. "Bless you."

She chuckled weakly. "Thanks." She spoke, voice scratchy and words barely falling from her lips as exhaustion took over her. "Stay here with me. I don't feel good. I need cuddles."

She was quite the cutie, even when she was sick. Her clingy side always seems to show when she's unwell, but you couldn't really complain about that.

"Honey, the soup is gonna really help you."

"No, no." She shook her head. "You will. Your warmth and your embrace is gonna help me the most. Please. I'll eat in a little bit. Want you to hold me first."

You brushed your fingers through her hair. She had a tiny pout on her lips but it fell when a tickle hit her throat and caused her to cough a couple of times. A whine followed, her throat seeming to hurt more and more every time she coughed.

"Alright." You agreed. You caving in seemed to make her eyes light up for the first time since she fell ill just two long days ago. It only lasted for a second before the sleepiness returned, but it was there and it calmed your anxious brain.

"Come here, lovely." You mumbled and opened your arms, happy to let her climb into them and hold her tight. "Love you. Rest up." You ran your fingers through her hair, making it impossible for her to stay awake.

"Love you too. Thank you for taking care of me." She mumbled sleepily before drifting off to sleep.

"Always, my love." You said quietly. "It's what I'm here for."