Runaway Boys and Girls

"No! No, no, no, no, no!" I shouted.

My father had tried to keep my with him but I had given up. I was not going to deal with him any longer.

"But Y/N-" he tried but I wouldn't let him.

"No, dad! I'm not putting up with you any longer! You come home late every night, drunk as hell, barely able to walk and I have to take care of you! You can hardly function without someone else and I can't be that someone anymore, dad! I'm leavin' you! I'm running away to Dally. He will care me more than you ever will."

I had to wait until he was sober to tell him, he would file a missing persons report if I had told him when drunk.

He looked at me, tears started swelling in his eyes. Angry tears.

"Dallas? Go on and leave, then! Find your hoodrat of a brother who doesn't care about his family! Doesn't care about the Winston name!"

I ran out the door. A wad of bills in my hand, my backpack with all my stuff, and my switchblade in my pocket. I was fed up and ready to leave.

I meet my boyfriend, James, we're running away together, to find a better life. Away from the stinkin' streets of New York, somewhere where my brother was waiting for me.

"Ready, babe?" He asks.

I nod, "Yeah, let's go." I kiss him on the cheek and we get in his car. Oh, what a long weekend we have ahead.

Many hotels and gasoline station stops later, we made it. Tulsa, Oklahoma. Where Dally said he was.

James drives up to a small building. Red lights shine through the windows and a blue and red neon sign hangs over the front door. It's reads "Buck's".

"Here's your stop, babe. Once we're both settled we'll hangout, promise." He said with a wink.

At least James had somewhere to go where he had a bit of money. Wealthy enough to live one the South side. Dal had warned me all about the social classes of Tulsa. All about greasers and socs. 'Bout how things might change.

I walk up to the door of the building. I see him sitting at the bar, he musta been waitin' for me. I open the door and he turns around.

"Y/N!" he happily yells.

I run up to Dally and grab him into a tight hug. It's been 5 years since I had seen Dallas, and, boy, did I miss him.

"I've missed you, Dal." I say not letting go.

We stay like that a bit longer, before he shows me to my room.

"I know it ain't much, but it's all we have." Dally looks at me, a cig resting in his hand and grey smoke leaving his mouth every time he exhaled.

I walk to my small room and place down my bag. Man, I couldn't be more grateful to be here.

"It's great havin' you here, Y/N." Dally says closing the door.

I slip off my shoes, busted up black converse on the verge of fallin' apart. I rest my head on my pillow and snuggle under the covers.

Finally, a safe place to rest.

I wonder what's waiting for me in Tulsa...

The next morning I wake up, scared of my father being hungover and nasty to me. Then I remembered, I'm with Dally now.

I groggily slip on more presentable clothing and walk downstairs. I see Dally with a typical Winston breakfast. A cup of joe, a bagel, and a cancer stick.

"Y/N, grab some food. I wanna show ya around." Dally said through a mouth full of bagel.

He started out the door. I quickly grabbed a piece of toast and followed behind him, like a little duckling.

Dally was headin' towards a neighborhood, not far from Buck's but far enough to pass through town. As we walk through the main town, Dally points at stuff and explains what it is. I can't help but admire the beauty of Tulsa. A small town, no big crimes, no bright lights, just fun people livin' life.

"Ope- And here's the Curtis house." Dallys stops and points to a house in front of us. It had a chain fence in front and a nice porch.

"Come in and meet the gang." Dally says walking up to the front door.

He just opened it and walked in so I assumed I was safe to head in.

"Hey everyone!" Dallas shouts, his weed barely hanging on his mouth. "Meet my kid sister, Y/N," he grabs my shoulder and pulls me into a sorta side-hug thing.

All these boys starin' at me was sorta intimidating. They were all good-lookin' guys but one caught my attention. A tan, black-haired boy. He was cute and seemed a little shy. Y/N, stop. You have a boyfriend, you can't be callin' other guys "cute".

Shit. I almost forgot.

I need to check on James.

Eh, I'll do it later. I wanna hang with my brother and his friends, they seem pretty nifty.

"That one there, with the Mickey Mouse shirt, that's Two-Bit. He's 18." Dally says pointin' at a boy, with lighter brown hair and a bottle of beer.

"Heya, Y/N. Please to meet ya," Two-Bit says, not getting up but turnin' his attention to me for a short amount of time.

Dally goes along the line pointing at boys in the room, saying their name and them saying hi back.

"That's Darry. I think he's 21." Dark hair and big muscles.

"I'm 20, Dallas." He says then greets me with a nod and a smile.

"His two kid brothers, Sodapop, 16, and Ponyboy, 14." Those boys were kinda cute. Soda looked like a movie star. Ponyboy was like your typical teenage kid, but seemed tuff enough.

"Hey, Y/N." Sodapop says, with a wide grin, from a relaxed position on the couch in the room.

Ponyboy looked at me and gave a sheepish smile, then turned away. He was sittin' next to the cute boy.

"That's Steve, right there. He's 17." Steve stuffed a chocolate cake in his mouth and then gave a little wave. He had no shame.

"And then there's ol' Johnny." Dally says, pointing at the small boy sittin' next to Ponyboy. Johnny looks at me, I give him a nice smile. He returns with a smaller one, but still a smile.

"Hows 'bout we to to the Dingo tonight? So Y/N can get to know us all better, huh?" Sodapop announces to the rest of the guys.

They all nod in agreement or reply with a "sure".

It felt nice being accepted. I had no close friends up in New York, well, 'cept for James. Speakin' of which...

"Hey, Dal. I gotta check up with James. I'll meet ya back here later?"

"Yeah, just keep safe, kiddo." Dally responds and sends me out the door.

As I look back, I see Dally join Ponyboy and Johnny on the floor. Johnny asks him something and he just laughs. Wonder what he was asking 'bout.