Looking Behind

I walk along the street, carefully reading the road signs and trying to remember all that Dally told me.

"He said the DX gasoline station." I kept repeating to myself. I wouldn't want to miss him.

I got to the DX. I had seen many before, especially on our long road trip.

I spot my boyfriend leaning up on the front wall of the gasoline station, looking good and smoking a weed. He wore a blue, yellow madras shirt and khaki pants.

"Hey, James!" I say cheerfully and run up to him.

Once I get up to him he grabs my arm and pulls me into the bathroom. He locks the door and shushes me. I look at him all confused.

"What? Am I being kidnapped or something?" I ask jokingly.

He laughs a little.

"No, no. I just don't want to be seen." He hesitated, "So I can have you all to myself. No other fellas lookin'." James says with a smirk.

I giggle at his flirty-ness and pull him close. We make out for a bit, per usual. Then we go on a walk, but only in the empty parts of town. No people around. A little suspicious, but I trust him. After a while, he checks his watch.

"Shit," he mumbles.

"My, uh, mom wanted me back by 5:00, so I should head out. See ya, Y/N." He says while walkin' away.

He didn't even look behind him.

I start off towards the house Dally had showed me earlier. As I walked there I kicked rocks that were loose on the sidewalk. I felt down. I know something is up with James, I just don't know what.

I actually walked past the house and had to back track a few steps to get back. I grabbed the handle of the screen door and swung it open to be met with ones of the boys.

We almost run into each other face first and both take a step back.

"Oh glory, I'm sorry. Johnny, right?" He nods. "I'm so sorry, man."

"It's fine. Don't sweat it," he says putting his head down and moving out of the way so I could step inside.

The only people I see are Ponyboy and Johnny.

"Where's everyone else?" I ask. "Oh shoot, did they already leave?"

"No, the opposite actually. We're the first ones here. We can just wait here until everyone else is back," Ponyboy answers.

"Oh really?"

I sat down on the empty armchair. Johnny came back in and joined Ponyboy on the couch.

"So, Johnny and Ponyboy, right?" Ponyboy gives me a head nod. "Cool, cool. Uhm, what did y'all do today?"

"We went to see a movie." Johnny answered.

"Ah, sick. What movie?"

"Gone with the Wind."

"I heard 'bout that. It any good?"

"I'd say so."

For the next 5-7 minutes the three of us continued talking like that. We talked about anything that came up, just getting to know each other. They were pretty tuff boys. Ponyboy had a sharp tongue, but he was funny most of the time. He's a very literal guy. Johnny had seemed quiet, at first, but now he was talking well enough to hold a fine conversation. I enjoyed talking with Johnny. Once the rest of the gang came back one by one, we returned to a quieter state.

"Is everyone here?" I heard Sodapop shout.

Everyone looks around and Two-Bit looks like he's counting.

"Think so," Two-Bit responds.

"Let's go then!" Dally says swiftly walking out the door. Me, Johnny and Ponyboy followed right behind him like little ducklings. The rest of the boys went behind us, jumping and yelling and just sorta being loud.

We finally arrived at the Dingo and sat down in a booth. Me on the edge next to Johnny, Ponyboy on the other side of Johnny, Darry and Sodapop by Ponyboy, Steve next to Sodapop, then Two-Bit and Dally opposite of me and Johnny.

A nice enough looking waitress came to us and asked our orders.

Darry ordered for us all, like a mom.

"We're gonna take 3 large fries, nachos, and coke's for everyone."

"Okay, I'll be right back with those," she said walking away.

"This is gonna be so good." Steve said.

"I agree, I'm so ready for those nachos!" Two-Bit responded.

The whole gang was talking together. At first, it everyone talking to each other but then we spilt and spoke to those around us.

I look to the boy next to me. He had a cute face, with black bangs that covered his eyebrows. He had a little scar on right cheek, the one facing me.

"Hey, Johnny. What's that scar from?" I ask.

He looks at me then looks down. It was clear he did not want to talk about it. I panic thinking I fucked up and now I won't have any friends here in Tulsa. Ponyboy looks at me and mouth 'I'll tell you later'. I think that means I'm in the clear. I thought it looked pretty tuff, to be honest.

I feel real bad. I didnt mean to hurt Johnny's feelings.

Then a group of Socs walk in. One of them in khakis and a blue, yellow madras shirt. The group of about 5 or so walk past us. I look up to them.

"Oh hey, James! Didn't expect to see you here-"

"Woulda shut it, filthy greaser?" He shouted at me.

What did he just call me?

"Huh? Why are you-"

"Stop talking to me, grease." James said and walked away.

I felt tears in my eyes.

"Hey, who was that jerk?" Sodapop asks.

Dally answered for me, "That's Y/N's boyfriend."

"Ex-boyfriend," I corrected him.

"Woah, when did that happen" Dally looked confused.

"Just now."

The gang seemed shocked and start whispering about how he seemed awful and 'good riddance.' I can't believe he did that. He let the Soc vs. greaser thing get to him. I lost my boyfriend. He called me a 'filthy greaser'. And worst of all...

He didn't even look behind him.