Socs, Socs, and More Socs

Me and Johnny looked at each other, wide-eyed.

Oh shit.

"Excuse me, son, what is your name?" our teacher asked sternly.

But that boy seemed to care less.

"James," he responded cooly. The teacher gave him a look.

"James Miller."

The teacher, satisfied with his use of surname, continued.

"Well, Mr. Miller, I cannot accept you being late every morning. You have been given a warning. Now, sit down."

James looked around the classroom, only one seat was open. Unfortunately, that seat was the one right in front of me.

As he slips into he desk he turns to look at me. He looked behind him. Only for a second, but at least he acknowledged me.

I look over at Johnny. He looks worried, but who can blame him. James has gotten stronger and more Soc-y over the summer. Definitely strong enough to beat Johnny pretty well.

"As I was saying, I'm going to be your homeroom teacher, Mr. Smith," the teacher talked on and on but I didn't pay mind at all.

I was focused on the Soc boy sitting in front of me. I examined him from head to toe. That scar on his lip was new. Well, new-ish at least, he didn't have it when we were together. It was still red, and looked like one he's carry for a good portion of his life, if not all of it.

Before I knew it the bell rang and students started to leave. I saw Johnny get up and I followed him. I start to pick up my pace to be able to walk alongside Johnny, but a strong hand pulled my backpack. I look up and see those dark, glittering, green eyes.

"Remember, little bitch, you don't know me. You don't talk to me, unless I talk to you first. Ya hear me?" he said still gripping my backpack.

I tried to break free but it was useless. He was much bigger than me.

He let go and shoved me with the force of his hand pulling away. I ran into Johnny and he grabbed me before I could knock the both of us down. He gave me a look and that's all I needed to know that he wanted to bounce. We quickly hurried off to our next class. Nobody in the halls even took notice. I immediately understood that school wasn't a safe place, at least for greasers. Socs would do all sorts of nasty stuff and no one would bat an eye. School was going to be horrific but at least Johnny would be with me.

The next few classes were okay. It was pretty boring because it was just meeting teachers and stupid icebreakers, but hey, at least we got no work. Soon it was lunchtime. Me and Johnny met up with Ponyboy, luckily, we all had had the same lunch. We sat outside, all the Socs sat inside in the cafeteria. I plop down and let my backpack roll off of me. Man, I wish we had lockers. Johnny and Pony sit on the left side of me. I pull out the sandwich I had made this morning and began to unwrap it. Just before I could take a bite, I feel two strong hands grab mu shoulders and yell at me.

"Hey, watch it greaser!" someone shouted at me with the tone of a Soc.

I was scared shitless before I recognized who it was.

"Ah, lay off her Two-Bit," Pony says.

"Yeah, fuck off, Two," I tell him a little harsher than I meant to.

"Gee, calm down babe. I'm just playing with ya!" Two-Bit said and him and Steve sat down infront of us three.

"So, how was your guys first day o' school?" Steve asks.

We all respond sorta nonchalantly. Nothing happened that would real make you flip your lip. We talked for a while, cracking jokes, poking fun, just normal teenage stuff.

The bell rang and we all headed to our next classes. I had World History with Johnny and Two-Bit. We were walking down the hallway continuing our lunch conversations. I see a group of three or four Soc boys walking past us. I catch the gaze of one of 'em. His eyes were a dark green. As he walked by us, he spit on me.

"Hey! You got a problem?" Two-Bit asked while pushing me and Johnnycakes behind him.

"Yeah, I do. You greasers are stinking up the hallways."

All of his friends laughed, James wouldn't even look at me. He just snickered and watched as his friend in a red sweater pushed Two-Bit into the wall, crushing me and Johnny as well. Johnny's face was so close to mine that I could feel his breath. He was panting, as was I, the push knocked the wind out of us. Two-Bit stepped towards the Soc boys pushing me and Johnny more into the wall and we hit heads. I saw Two-Bit in the face of those boys.

Two-Bit's hand instinctively reached for his pocket.

I tried to stop him but it was too late. He pulled out his switchblade and the Soc boys looked in horror.

"Keith Matthews!" a voice boomed from down the hall. It was a teacher.

Shit, shit, shit.

"After school detention, all six of you! And I will be telling your mother Mr. Matthews!" the teacher
stormed away.

"What? Miss! He was the one with the blade, why do we get detention with them!?" one of the Soc boys yelled.

The teacher stopped, turned around, and said cooly,"Well he gotta have a reason to pull it out, and I assume you boys were that reason."

We all went silent. The teacher walked off and the boys sorta growled at us.

"You guys better watch it," the brown haired boy in the red sweater said. They walked to class and we walked to class. Separate ways, not to see or speak to each other until after school.

Classes went by and soon came the last class of the day, science. It was my only class without Johnny, at least for today.

I walk into the classroom and, all I can say is it reeks in here. I'm one of the first kids in the classroom. I take a seat on one of the stools. The classroom is freezing. Kids slowly start to pile in. Almost all these kids are Socs. One girl sits next to me. She's a Soc, for sure. She's got real pretty red hair and nice clothes that look like they would cost me a fortune.

"I'm Sherry. Sherry Valance," she says.

I look at her, smile and nod, then turn away.  Man, I wish Johnny was here right now.

"Hey, I'm not trynna be rude. I just wanna talk. I don't recognize you, that's all."

"Y/N," I finally respond.

She seemed nice and all but I'm not sure I trust her, yet. I haven't had real good experiences with Socs. I was worried she might be just like those boys, just like James.

"That's a lovely name. You seem like a nice girl, not like those other grease girls," she says.

Is that an insult or is she just that arrogant?

"Thanks, Sherry."

"Oh no, call me Cherry."

"Thanks, Cherry."

The rest of science was spent doing my homework and waiting for that bell to ring. When it finally does I run out the door so fast, you might've thought I was running for the hospital. I start to walk out the front doors before I hear my name being called. I recognized his voice immediately.

"Johnny?"

"What're you doin', kid?" he asks as if I was an idiot.

"Leaving, what's it look like I'm doing?"

"We got detention, Y/N."

"Ah, shoot."

We walk through the sea of people, swimming up stream. We made it to the detention room and Two-Bit was already there. The three Socs walk in and the teacher gets up.

"You all will stay here until 5:00pm. And I better not hear a word out of any of your mouths."

This is gonna be a long hour.