New and Familar Faces

BANG. BANG. BANG.

"Wake up Y/N! You're gon' be late!" Dally yelled at me while knocking on my door.

I heard his loud footsteps walk away from the door and downstairs.

I thought, gosh what could I be late for. Then, I remembered that I was starting school here. I check my clock, 7:30. I ain't gonna be late, I got time. I'm not planning to miss the first day of school.

Dally had gotten Darry to enroll me in the public school that he and Soda used to go to. Now, Ponyboy, Johnny, Steve, and Two-Bit go there. Seemed like it was the one of the only high schools in Tulsa.

Boy, was I excited.

I couldn't wait to start school here. I actually had a chance of becoming friends with people, well, besides the gang.

I picked out an outfit that seemed cute but still tuff enough and then grabbed my backback. I rushed downstairs to be met with Dally, two plates of eggs and toast, and two cups of coffee.

"I figured we could eat together then I could drive you and the other kids to school," he said.

I nodded and took a seat.

We ate and talked. He asked if I was excited or nervous. You know, I have seen and heard stories of Dallas being rude to girls and a right ol' jerk to everyone, but he was the best brother in the world to me. Dally hates kids, all of 'em. 'Cept for me, Johnny and Ponyboy.

Once we finished we walked to the car. Well it wasn't our car. Buck sometimes let Dally use his car. We were gonna meet Johnny and Pony at the house and then Dal would take us all to school.

I'm watching the beauty of the town pass by the window until the car stops and in front of me is two boys walking out from a chainlink fence. Dally rolled down the window.

"Get in the back, Y/N's ridin' passenger today," he shouted at both of them, but specifically Johnny. I know he usually rides passenger.

Ponyboy and Johnny get in the back of the car. Off we drove to a new school, for me and Pony at least.

"You lot excited for school?" Dally asks.

Johnny doesn't answer. He's lost in thought, I think.

Ponyboy just shrugs and looks out the window. The whole gang had been so used to getting up late, except for the boys with jobs, that we were all so tired.

"Fine, if no one wants to talk," Dally reaches for the radio. Click. The radio turns on, playing Elvis Presley.

Blue moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

The song started to trail off and it was silent, 'cept for my thoughts.

I was just thinking. Nothin' in particular, just 'bout school. Classes, new friends, Johnny, homework, teachers. Glory, what would school be like? Man, what if everyone hates me? What if no one wants to talk to me, even Johnny and Ponyboy.

As I drown in my own thoughts I suddenly feel the car stop. I look out beside me. A big, large high school. My new big, large high school.

"See ya kiddos," Dally says dumping us off on the sidewalk and speeding away.

Pony starts heading inside. "Well, I'll see you guys around," he said walking away, glancing up and down from his schedule to where he was heading. 

Ponyboy had to go find his classes by himself, I didn't need to, though. Johnny said he'd help me find all my classes, since we're in the same grade.

"Can I see your schedule, Y/N?" Johnny asks. He looks at me with his dark brown eyes.

Johnny was a shy kid, for sure, but he was comfortable 'round me and Pony. He didn't have trouble talking to either of us, or much of the gang. He often asks me to deal with confrontational stuff, but I don't mind. I think it's kinda cute.

"Woah, we have almost all the same classes, 'cept for science."

"Really?"

I look over his shoulder at my schedule. That's pretty cool.

"You can just follow me then. We'll head to homeroom. I'll show you where the science room is later."

We start walking to class together. Johnny gives me all the warnings. 'Bout what teachers are nice and sour, what kids are good or not, what classes are fun or a buzz. Did you know this school doesn't have lockers?

He stops walking. I read the sign on the door.

English Room 147.

"This us?" I ask him.

Johnny nods and walks in. We could sit wherever we wanted. Johnny said this class is easy enough if you try.

We take our seats in the back of the class.

Students started piling in, slowly but surely. Denim and leather, madras and sweaters. greaser and Soc. I'm watching people file in the class trying to pick up on information that I can hear from eavesdropping. Me and Johnny wait for class to start, with occasional glances at each other then quickly looking away. The bell rang and the last group of people come in.

"Okay class, I'm going to be your homeroom teacher. I'm Mr-" the teacher started before the door slams open.

A boy walks in. A Soc boy. I recognize him.

Dark green eyes, and light brown hair. A scar on his lip, but most remarkably...

A blue and yellow madras shirt.