Embarrassment and Laughs

So there we sat. All six of us. No one dare utter any noise. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I kept sneaking glances at the clock. It was hanging on the wall, just above Johnny's head. It had been 45 minutes. There were several times I almost fell asleep, and several times where I did fall asleep. Suddenly, the teacher stood up.

"I have to leave for a few minutes. When I come back, this classroom better look the exact same. Or each of you will come in at lunch."

She quickly left. Once that door shut everyone immediately started talking. I moved my desk closer to Johnny and Two-Bit's seats.

"I can't believe we're all stuck here. It should only be you. Thanks a lot, Two," I said.

"Woah, is today harass Two-Bit day or something? I only did it because I didn't want them to hurt you and Johnny."

I roll my eyes, "whatever."

We chat and whatnot for a bit, just trying to kill time, waiting for that clock to reach the mark. It's all Two-Bit's fault. He's gonna be the one that has to explain to the rest of the gang. As I begin to say something, I hear the boys behind us. The Soc boys. By eavesdropping I've learned that the boys are seniors, well, besides James. They're talking about past flames. Not in a good way.

"Hey, at least I never dated some greaser girl like James, here. Right?" the blonde one had said, trying to poke fun in the most insulting way.

"Bob, c'mon. That's not-" the red sweater kid starts.

"No, no. He's right, Randy. I never really liked her anyway. She was just super hot," James said. They all laughed, especially James.

He looked over and saw that James was looking. I've never seen a more regretful face. I stared at him, I don't think I was meant to hear that. James knows he fucked up, really bad this time. Tears start to form in my eyes and I quickly wipe them away. Johnny puts an arm around me.

"Hey, it's okay. Don't cry. You're more than just looks, Y/N," he said softly.

I held my breath. I wasn't gonna cry. Not at school, and especially not in front of those boys.

"James why are you-" I hear one of the Socs start, "Wait a minute. Are you jealous?"

I hear an eruption of laughter.

"Glory, you are jealous!"

"Shut it! I'm not jealous of some grease!" I hear James yell. It's friends won't cut it out. They keep on laughing and laughing.

I give a little giggle at the fact that James would be jealous of ol' Johnnycakes. Two-Bit's cracking up, though. I look to Johnny. He's not got his arm around me anymore, understandably. Though, his face is bright red. Man, I don't think I've ever seen Johnny this flustered. I start laughing, too. Soon, just about all of us were laughing, 'cept for James.

One of the Soc boys stood up abruptly.

"Hey, it's time! Now, how about we just leave?" He says, somewhat angry, somewhat embarrassed. I could tell by his tone that it was James.

Me, Johnny, and Two-Bit ran for the door. I'm sure Ponyboy is at the house, wondering where the hell we are. The others would be at work.

We were walking to the house and Two-Bit had a random energy burst, I guess. He was still laughing from detention.

"Man, that might've been the funniest thing all day!" Two-Bit said in between laughs. "You shoulda seen your face, Johnnycakes. you were 'bout red as can be, I tell ya."