An Eventful Afternoon

Now the next few days, nothing super interesting happened. The Socs were just as irritable as ever, except for that Cherry girl. She was pretty alright, for a Soc. Dally seemed real interested in her. Dally had record of illegal activities and was always in the cooler. He was serving time. I didn't tell any of the gang, 'cept for Dal, that me and Cherry talked ever. I just don't think they'd really understand. Before I knew it, a month of school had almost passed. I learned more about the social dynamics of this school, and felt I fit in well enough. The boys hadn't really gone for sports 'cept Ponyboy, he's doing track. Whenever he's got meets the whole gang will come watch, I mean the ones that can. Everyone was mostly happy. Well, we all had our own little problems, but we all kept each other good. Life was going as well as it could. Until that fateful week.

It had started out normally. We go to school, go back to the Curtis house, hang for a while, then go home. Sometimes, someone will catch a movie or something other to do, but eventually we'll all meet at the end of day. Then it all changed on Friday. Two-Bit, Pony, Johnny and me were all walking back from school.

"Man, I'm glad the week's over," Two-Bit said walking backwards in front of the group.

"Yeah, maybe we can do something fun!" I suggested excitedly.

We reach the chainlink fence that we're all so familiar with. As we all enter the house it feels like a wave of exhaustion fell over us. All of us 'cept Ponyboy.  We all lay out on the various places to sit. Pony quickly jumps up and goes to the kitchen to fix himself a snack. He comes back and flips on the TV.  I feel my eyes starting to get heavy. Soon enough, I was out cold.

My eyes slowly opened and I sat up. Gosh, how long has it been?

"How was your nap?" I hear Johnny sweetly ask. I turn so I'm facing him, but my body is still facing the television.

"Real good. Where did Pony and Two-Bit go? How long was I asleep?" I ask, still disoriented from my rest.

"Only 'bout 30 minutes. Pony's out at the theater and Two-Bit didn't say where he's gone."

"So it's just us?" I ask.

"Yeah, guess so," Johnny says.

"Let's go have some fun. Find something to do instead of sittin' around," I suggest.

"I dunno, Y/N. Maybe we should just-" I cut Johnny off.

"C'mon!" I get up and grab his arm and start pulling him out of his chair.

I'm laughing and Johnny finally gives in. We race out the door and just start walking into to town. It was a chilly evening.

"Man, I need another pack. Let's go grab some more weeds," Johnny says.

"Can we get milkshakes too?" I ask excitedly.

Johnny nods. My face grew into an excited smile as we started to walk. Me and Johnnycakes loved getting milkshakes together. We had learned that not much could be a good milkshake with some fries. We walk into the diner and Bart, the man who worked at the bar, waved hi. We go here lots, he'll recognize anyone from the gang. Me and Johnny slide up into two barstools.

"The usual with you two?" He says.

"Yep!" I say while nodding. I look beside me to see Johnny staring at me with a grin.

"What? Do I got something on my face?" I ask concerned.

Johnny starts laughing, "No, no. You're fine."

"Then why are you starin' at me like that?"

"No reason," he seemed to stiffen up when I asked him that.