5/05/2023-Convocation Day

Don't ask me what happened for the past few months. Girl scouting, project evaluation, the research and the camping happened all at once.

May 5, 2023

"Convocation Day"

A sparkling sunny day that doesn't seem like Friday. The heavy pull of slumber forces me to stay in bed. "Was it always like this?" No, the optimism inside of me tells me what turn of events are supposed to happen. There was no rush in getting ready. Not even a part of me wants to get ready to go to school ever so early. But after the endless nagging from downstairs, I had no choice but to go against sleepiness.

As I take the last step from the stairs, mother asked from the other side of the hallway, "What food will you bring for today?" 'Ah, that's right. The quarterly Carnation tradition, where the honor students bring food, drinks, and treats. And just my luck, I got the 'high achiever' one.' I was already being problematic about it since yesterday. My mother is a single mother who's ever so busy to really get the time to cook up something. I already had the hint that she cannot bring something as extravagant as what everyone had expected. When she asked me that question, I couldn't help but feel guilty, so I answered, "Anything will do."

After a short conversation with her, I continued with my daily pattern of preparing, which was just a series of fixing my bed, eating breakfast, looking for clothes, taking a bath, brushing my teeth, getting into the uniform, organizing possible activities for the day (because clearly, I can't entrust school activities to just anyone), and preparing my things including my lunch. I usually don't take breakfast and just drink coffee, and when no one's going to take care of the cooking, of course, I take on the duty.

I should have been a hundred percent joyful about my quarterly achievement, but honestly? I didn't feel much. I knew that after all the recognition and everything, awaits me is a pile of work. Upon going to school and entering the room, the ominous aura of 'magulo-nanaman-ang-classroom' and 'wala-nanamang-naglinis' approached me with a very warm welcome. Flashforward, they called us to the gymnasium for the program. I went on stage with an awkward smile. 'I wonder if anyone noticed'. But whatever, my best friend also made it to the achievers list and I'm proud of her.

Lastly, mother ended up ordering pancit for the class where (spoiler alert), no one brought utensils. But at any case, they had their way of eating, and one-by-one left during lunch. The afternoon was supposed to be for filming. It is a class project from our subject in Religion, but our main actors already left (when I clearly told them that we would film by that time). So, the end game, we had to rush it before the proposed deadline. It was hectic.