"Truly a Swordsmaster"

"It has been exactly seven years since I transmigrated into this world."

My new name...

'Vivian De Verder Obelia'

The unfamiliar setting of western vintage time. Surrounded by antique tea sets and unnecessary etiquette which I am unfamiliar with as a person from the future.

Gazing through the window of my indicolite quarters, I watch  my older brother Kai have his swordsmanship class, which I have always ought to learn. I admired the elegant sway of a sword—the art of which no man would understand: My determination to wield a dagger and hold the same power of a hero that could save many lives with it.

I must become a Swordsmaster.

And in the body of a seven-year-old, I ran through the halls of the manor, dashing and rushing towards my parents. I slammed the door wide open in vigor, ran to my startled mother who was having her nice cup of tea in the morning. I tugged her dress and in desperate gasps of air, (I made my corset, my own enemy). Then in a high voice I said,

"Mother! I have decided to sculpt my future. I choose to become a Swordmaster!"

In shock, my mother froze holding the cup of tea in her hand. She felt 'doubt' upon her daughter's words, which indeed she would as I have expected her to be. But I have already decided for far too long for her to decline my sparkling drive. But despite so, I found myself in a hustle knowing that  everything will not go the way I want it to be, especially in today's society. My mother, whom once dreamed to be a shoemaker, was forbidden to do so. This was all because of the gender stereotypes and non-inclusive standards of society. And becoming their 'talk', would bring you to possible ruins.

But as someone who is now finally a mother to the new generation, will she continue the path of chains, binding rights due to the unfitting justice among genders?...

I don't think so.

The silence soon broke when she finally stood up, putting her tea down on the table. She left the quarters, as I followed behind her. She stopped upon her tracks when we arrived at the front door of fathers' office. She then entered, wearing a serious face. You can still hear the rustling papers being tended by father himself, which I myself would find it boring in my past life. I hear the scritching sound of a scribbling fountain pen, to which soon came to a break when we entered. My father happily asked,

"And to what pleasure do I owe my wife and daughter to visit me?"

Then mother replied,

"She has decided to become a wielder of a sword."

Father's smile vanished quickly, letting the pen drop on top of the table—splashing ink all over the document. He then turned to me with the 'are-you-sure?' face to which I replied, nodding gently. He looked at mother and also nodded at her.

He then turned to me once again and said, "This won't be that easy." To which I smiled in answer, letting them know that I have made my word.

Soon after the incident, I found myself receiving a letter from the Imperial Knights Academy, which contains an application form and a sample test to enter. It was rather easy since it only required common sense and basic math skills. It was successful and I got enrolled in no time. And before the first day, I planned on having advance reading on the lessons and trained myself to have the required fitness. From agility and speed to coordination and prediction.

By the time when I entered the academy, suffocating gazes greeted my face. Whispers of insults and negative comments about me being a girl  can be heard all through the hallways. I didn't mind them (Being mentally matured and all). This was until a noble boy blocked my way to the central hall. Apparently he was Count Puffington's heir and I'm a level lower than that of a noble's.

'Which I don't really care.'

I pretended I forgot something and walked back the other way, making it so that they were not going for me. They shouted names at me which I did not pay attention to. It's annoying to think that I have to find another way to get to the central hall. It was a good thing that there was a map in front of the academy. This helped me make my way to my desired destination. And ever since then, I have avoided possible troubles in school. Although I did encounter sexist teachers, I only showed them that they cannot fail someone like me. I worked my hardest and made them realize that I was able and capable.

Ten years have passed and I have honed my knowledge and skills in sword to its utmost. I have made three friends along the way; Nathan Thompson, Tan Bevens (which was secretly a girl pretending to be a boy from the very beginning to also avoid troubles. Her real name: Tania Beverly) and of course, David Hephent. Everything went smoothly, which made me turn to suspicion. It was 'too smooth'. And as of my prediction, a challenge came in.

And I mean a literal challenge.

A boy threw his gloves at me. This meant that he wanted to challenge me into a duel of swordfight. He seemed familiar until a flash of my first day came in. Yes, the one and only Puffington's heir.

'Oh wow, how surprising~' (sarcastic).

I knew it would come eventually. There were rumors going around that I enrolled into the academy to find a husband and prance around. And upon my own investigation, it turns out that the roots of the 'tea' is no other than the petty little bully boy. And as apparent as it was, he was raging in jealousy and disagreement with me for years. And interestingly enough, I told everything to my parents and they quickly settled the issue with the Puffington family. To no surprise, they were also as sexist as their son. Indeed, "like father, like son" as they say.

I wanted to decline the offer, but he involved my family saying that they raised a witch and not a smart child. He made it sound so that a smart woman was rather a witch, and a knowledgeable man was more suited to be called a genius. I'd pity him if he had an ounce of awareness and self reflection, but instead he didn't mature. I wanted to teach him a lesson, so I accepted it. He decided that the academy's coliseum would be perfect. We got a permit to use it and even had high professors to judge on the duel. I started to train once again before the event and learned quite a few of the possible techniques. I also have a plan right in my sleeves.

And so the day arrived at its finest. Crowds of students from other schools came to watch as it was open to the public. The duel was about to begin when suddenly....The sound of the audio cord (which was called a 'mic' in the modern world) can be heard with a nerve wracking announcement.

'LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, ANNOUNCING THE ARRIVAL OF HER MAJESTY THE EMPRESS, QUEEN LIBERTIA DA VON BEVERDER!"

All had bowed to her dashing and powerful presence. She was guided to her seat and gestured to continue the duel. If she personally came, then I must show my best, as she holds the highest power among the circle of society. And perhaps in today's event, I can make history and change the view of the world.

The starter gun fired at signal,

"BANG!"

The fight went on and started. There are five rounds: I gave him the victory for the first and second round. My aim was to raise his ego to its peak and give him the biggest fall he could ever have. I move my dagger according to what I learned, based on what I believe in, and by the drive that holds me into the path that I want the world to realize that it exists. The third, fourth, and the fifth round was my win. And alas, this led me to my victory. The crowd went wild at my success. And the most amazing thing that I bear witness to, is the standing ovation from the empress queen herself. My family and friends watched upon the crowds clapping with pride.

To that, I grabbed the audio cord and said,

"Yes, I am a woman. 'I' am a female—stereotyped as a weakling and unfitting. But then again, whether it was a boy or a girl, a man or a woman, let them follow what they want to follow. Humans are species who naturally have their freedom to what they desire. And as long as this is not a hindrance to the goodness of others, let them be. If a man wanted to sew let him be. If a woman wanted to grow crops and work, LET-HER-BE. For we, students of this academy, are not only identified as SwordsMEN, but rather...we truly behold as SWORDSMASTERS!"

THE END