Chapter 25

It didn't take much for Logan to get Tess away unseen from her apartment. When he'd arrived, he'd parked his truck on the next street over. She hadn't been thrilled about climbing a fence to get to his truck, but she'd done it anyway.

On the way home, she'd insisted they take a detour to a drugstore. With her blond hair bunched under a baseball cap and wearing baggy jeans and a sweater, she'd decided she looked like any other late-night shopper cruising the drugstore aisles.

He didn't have the heart to tell her that wearing baggy clothes and no makeup wouldn't make her less noticeable. It was impossible to fade into the background when you were six-foot tall. Add in a personality that sparkled even in suburban Bozeman, and you had a surefire way to get noticed.

As they pulled into his garage, she leaned back in her seat and smiled. "That wasn't so bad."

"Were you expecting lights and sirens with a car chase or two?"

Tess opened her door and lifted her suitcase off the back seat. "I thought one of the reporters might have wondered where we'd gone."

"I'm sure they did."

She looked at him suspiciously. "What did you do?"

"Molly used some pillows to make it look as though someone was sitting in the passenger seat of her car."

"She did?" Instead of being concerned, Tess seemed grateful. "I'll call her to make sure she arrived home safely."

He took her case out of her hand and carried it inside. "You can sleep upstairs in the main bedroom. It has its own bathroom and walk-in closet."

"Where will you sleep?"

Logan nodded to a corridor beside the main staircase. "My bedroom's downstairs."

She followed him upstairs. He stopped beside each room, giving her a guided tour. "One day I'll repaint the rooms, but for now they're okay."

"I like the rooms. They're not overdone with chintz and satin."

"I take it you've lived with chintz and satin and didn't like it."

"You could say that."

He stepped inside the last room. "This is the main bedroom. It has an incredible view of the mountains. There's a walk-in closet behind that door, and in here..." He opened another door. "Is the bathroom. I'll get you some towels."

When he returned, Tess was pulling her cell phone out of her pocket.

"I'll call Molly and let her know we're okay."

He hung up the towels and left an extra one on the end of the bed. By the time he'd grabbed an extra blanket out of the hall closet, Tess was off the phone. "Is Molly okay?"

Tess smiled. "The black SUV followed her so she drove to the police department. The reporters won't be bothering her again."

"I should have called Dylan."

"Molly's okay. Her sister was home when she got there. She promised to call the police if anything strange happens."

Logan ran his hands through his hair. "I shouldn't have told you about Connie and Dave. If Jilly hadn't read about The Bridesmaids Club, none of this would have happened. Connie and Dave—"

"Had a beautiful wedding. Do you know how much Mrs. Thompson enjoyed seeing her daughter get married? You made Connie's wedding day special because you were willing to help us. You helped create memories Mrs. Thompson's family will never forget. What came next wasn't your fault." Tess looked at her suitcase and frowned. "I have an apology to make. I'm sorry for thinking you gave Jilly the photos she printed in the paper. I should have trusted you."