Chapter 5

"This is so exciting." Sally jumped up and down in the backseat of Tess' car like an over-excited puppy.

"Just keep low. If Logan sees who's in the car, he might change his mind." Tess was beginning to think it wasn't such a good idea that everyone had come on their Sunday drive. When she'd texted Molly, Sally, and Annie they'd all decided they needed to be here, too.

Fortunately, Logan didn't know her car was packed with Nancy Drew wannabes.

Molly was sitting in the backseat with Sally. She grabbed hold of Sally's arm and tugged her down. "Once we get moving he won't notice us."

"Why did I get the front seat?" Annie moaned. "There's no room in here. I want to go in the backseat."

"Too late. Logan just drove past and waved." Tess turned on the ignition and pulled away from the curb.

Annie poked her head above the dashboard. "I can't see him."

"Will you get your head down," Tess hissed. "If Logan doesn't catch us, the police will. You're supposed to be wearing a seat belt."

"I feel like one of Charlie's Angels," Sally squealed. "I'll be the one with the blond hair that flicks out at the sides."

"But you've got black hair," Annie said.

"Don't burst my bubble," Sally said. "I dreamed about being Farrah Fawcett for years. I even tried dying my hair blond once."

"How did it turn out?" Molly asked.

"Black."

"You could be Kelly," Molly said.

"You know their names," Annie said. "I didn't know you watched Charlie's Angels in Ireland."

"Of course, we watched Charlie's Angels. We're quite civilized when we need to be."

"Hold on," Tess said. "We're turning left."

Molly and Sally giggled from the back seat.

Annie groaned. "When can I sit on the seat? My back is killing me."

Tess glanced down at Annie. "Pull your feet around. You look like one of those contortionists."

"Easy for you to say," Annie mumbled. "I'm five-foot-five and I feel like I've been squashed into a rabbit hutch."

"Alice," Molly piped up. "You could be Alice in Wonderland."

"Enough already," Tess groaned. "Red light up ahead." She leaned forward in her seat. "We're in trouble. There's a police officer farther up the road. He's stopping cars."

"What do we do?" Sally shrieked.

"Sit up and put on your seat belts," Tess said. "He's probably checking drivers' licenses."

Annie pulled herself onto the passenger seat. "Why don't you have a big truck with tinted windows?"

"Doesn't come in a price range I can afford. Now get your seat belt on and stop moaning. Logan's gone through the checkpoint and he's waiting for us." She slowed the car. "Okay, everyone look intelligent. We're going for a pleasant Sunday drive."

"Yes, Charlie," Sally said breathlessly.

Molly and Annie burst out laughing.

Tess stopped for the police officer and rolled down her window. "Good morning, officer."

"Where are you ladies heading?"

Tess looked into the officer's eyes and tried to act as though they weren't stalking some poor unsuspecting bride. "You know, just going for a drive."