Chapter 6

Logan walked into Pastor Steven's dining room and nodded at the other guys in the house. He'd never been particularly religious and some days, like today, he felt like a fraud even being here.

"Hi, Logan. Long time no see." Dylan Bayliss stood and shook his hand.

Logan had met Dylan at his first counseling session in Bozeman. Both of them had been in Afghanistan. Both of them had come home with memories they'd sooner forget.

Dylan was in combat. Logan was reporting on the conflict. Post-traumatic stress disorder was the last thing either of them had expected to get. But it hit them both, made them different people from the men who'd left America.

They walked into the kitchen and Dylan grabbed a can of Cola for Logan. "Where were you last month?"

"It was my mom's birthday. I flew to Seattle and stayed there for a few days. How's your job?"

"Busy. I'm heading to Los Angeles next week to bring an eight-year-old here for a vacation with his dad."

Logan smiled. Dylan worked for an elite security company and spent most of his time away from Bozeman. "Rich family."

Dylan shrugged. "It's more common than you think. Some parents have high-paying jobs and need someone more than a nanny to travel with their kids. What about you? Found any good stories lately?"

Logan popped the tab on his can. "Mayor Jarvis sacked her Executive Assistant."

"Riveting stuff."

"It is when there's an internal investigation going on for fraud. The story will be in tomorrow's paper."

Pastor Steven came into the kitchen with an empty plate. "If you guys want lunch, I'd suggest you move fast. Jeremy and Todd are hungry. Good to see you, Logan."

Logan shook Pastor Steven's hand. "You need help with anything?"

"Never thought you'd ask. Grab one of the dish towels out of the cupboard beside the fridge. There's a plate of mini quiches in the oven that need to go on the table."

Logan opened the oven and stared at the pile of quiches. "Your wife's been busy."

"My daughter's responsible for lunch today. She's here for a few days and decided to try her culinary school recipes on us."

Dylan took a quiche off the plate and bit into it. "I'd say her college fees are worth every cent. These taste great."

Pastor Steven followed them into the living room. "Remember that when they go on the table. Jeremy and Todd have already tried some and they're waiting for more."

Logan laughed and eyeballed Dylan. "Sounds like I need a bodyguard to keep the food safe."

"You want my advice? Take the plate back into the kitchen and we'll have lunch without them."

"The old avoidance and run tactic. Works every time." Logan left the plate on the table and growled at the hand passing in front of his chest. "Get those fingers away from the quiches, Jeremy."

Jeremy laughed and snatched a quiche off the plate. "You have to be quicker than that, old man."

"You're five years younger than me," Logan scoffed. "And living on dangerous ground if you come back for more food before Dylan and I get our lunch."

"We'll see," came the cheeky reply.

Dylan added more food to his plate and sat on the sofa. "Don't worry about Jeremy. One day, he'll be even older than we are and someone will say exactly the same thing to him."