Chapter 13

"You didn't tell me Tess was such a babe." Dylan left the wedding cake on the floor in the front of Logan's truck. They'd debated where to put it before settling on the safest place they could think of.

"You didn't ask."

"A six-foot, blond goddess deserves a mention or two. Or were you worried a worthier man might whisk her away?" Dylan took one of the takeout coffees Logan was holding. He opened the door to the back of the truck and slid into the seat.

Logan stood on the sidewalk and stared at him through the open window. "Does this mean you're coming with me to the hospital?"

Dylan slicked back his hair and grinned. "I'm coming to the wedding, too. Kristine invited me."

"You do realize why the wedding's tonight?"

"Yeah, I know." The smile disappeared off Dylan's face. "It can't be easy for them."

"At least we can help make it something special." Logan walked to the driver's side of the cab and started the truck.

Dylan didn't say anything until they were heading toward the hospital. "So, tell me about Tess. I take it she's single? It goes without saying she's drop-dead gorgeous. Does she have a sister?"

"Do you have anything on your mind except women?"

"It keeps me from thinking about other things."

The truth in Dylan's words made Logan's foot slip off the accelerator. The truck lurched forward.

"Is the cake okay?"

"I hope so or one of us will be in trouble." For a second, Logan imagined all the frosting splattered across the inside of the box. Tess and Annie would kill him. He glanced down at the cake. The box was sitting at an odd angle on the floor.

Dylan leaned forward. "And we both know who'll be in trouble the most."

Logan glanced over his shoulder. Dylan looked smug in the knowledge that it wouldn't be his head on the chopping block.

"So, getting back to Tess. How long have you known her?"

"About a year."

"And you haven't said anything?"

Logan thought he'd better set Dylan straight on where his relationship with Tess sat. A big, fat nowhere was where. "She's not my girlfriend. She hates reporters, although I think she's getting used to me. She likes Chinese takeout, but feels guilty eating it when she's such a good cook. She's done some modeling, owns Angel Wings café and lived with her grandparents for a few years."

"Have you got her shoe size and dental records in there somewhere?"

"At least I pay attention to the important things."

Dylan laughed. "And Chinese takeout is so important."

"Don't laugh too hard, you'll give yourself a hernia."

"It's just as well we're turning into the hospital parking lot. If you'd told me she likes broccoli and Brussel sprouts I'd know it was love."

Logan smiled. At least they could joke about his miserable attempt at getting to know Tess. Neither Dylan nor Logan had dated in so long that it felt good to laugh about something that involved a woman.

"Does Connie's mom know we're leaving the cake with her?" Dylan asked.

"I hope so." He knew Tess had Connie's cell phone number. Whether she'd thought to let Connie know they were on their way was another story. "I'll give Tess a call."